Mercury Force 1998 50 HP Propeller Recommendation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Fournier

Reaction score
I have a 1973 MirroCraft 16-foot Lake Fisherman powered by a 1998 Mercury Force 50 HP outboard.
The motor mechanically is in pristine condition and after a 3-month renovation of the boat took it out for a spin.
The motor WOT specifications is 5300 RPM, however with a brand-new calibrated tach the motor revved to slightly over 7000 RPM @ 31 MPH.
Turns out the prop is a Mercury 48-73138-A40-14P, which translates to a 10 1/4" diameter x 14 Pitch.
The boat weighs 350 LBS, total loaded with engine, 2-people, and gear maybe 800-1000 LBS.
I did make sure the tach was calibrated properly, so I'm looking for recommendations for a new propeller size.
Preliminary investigations are pointing to a 12-13" diameter and a 13-15 pitch ... any comments out there?

Attachments

• Mirrocraft 16 Lake Fisherman Find.jpg
    Mirrocraft 16 Lake Fisherman Find.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973 MirroCraft Lake Fisherman Restored.jpg
    1973 MirroCraft Lake Fisherman Restored.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
So, at WOT, you need to be at 5300 rpms and you are confident you are at 7000 (YIKES!). What research would lead you to a smaller pitch (13P)? The general rule is stepping up by one pitch, will reduce rpm by 150 to 200. It seems going up one pitch (15P) you will still be significantly over revving that motor. I would caution against making inferences from this rule. You are so far off I would be uncomfortable you applying it based on my comments. Not sure it is even practical.

Are you absolutely sure the tach is correct?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Last edited:
PLEASE....recheck your tach or have it checked with another tach, something is not right !! Getting your tach tested might very well save your engine !! Next consideration is a bad prop, at 7K you should be well over 31 mph....so...is your prop slipping, bad hub, motor to high? Look closely and thoroughly check everything before your engine is damaged. Keep us posted.....

As mentioned, something isn't right. Even with 20% slip you would be going 40+ mph at that RPM. Given that information, you'd be needing a 19 or 21 pitch prop, which probably doesn't exist for that outboard.

I'd say a 15 would be about right, give or take.

How long has the boat been set up like that? Does it SOUND like it's turning 7K rpm to you? That's really howling!

Force sometimes uses a funny setting that not all tachs have. A lot of the big ones use a 20-pole setting, but I can't remember what the little ones use. But they DO change over the years, so you have to get the year right, which isn't always easy with Force

You can look it up by year and model at Faria.com and a few other sites.

If that has always been the prop on that setup since new, I would hesitate to swap it out too quickly until I was sure.

The reason I say this is I've had people come to me with the tach either reading high or low, and I verify it with my digital timing light set on 2-str Often, it's the tach.

Force engines are typically a bit slow for the HP compared to other manufacturers. I had a boat with a great-running Force on the back, and it would do 24 MPH on a good day. Switched to an Evinrude, and it suddenly would do 31 mph easily, and I was thrilled.

I hope you figure it out.

How long has the boat been set up like that? Does it SOUND like it's turning 7K rpm to you? That's really howling!

Force sometimes uses a funny setting that not all tachs have. A lot of the big ones use a 20-pole setting, but I can't remember what the little ones use. But they DO change over the years, so you have to get the year right, which isn't always easy with Force

You can look it up by year and model at Faria.com and a few other sites.

If that has always been the prop on that setup since new, I would hesitate to swap it out too quickly until I was sure.

The reason I say this is I've had people come to me with the tach either reading high or low, and I verify it with my digital timing light set on 2-str Often, it's the tach.

Force engines are typically a bit slow for the HP compared to other manufacturers. I had a boat with a great-running Force on the back, and it would do 24 MPH on a good day. Switched to an Evinrude, and it suddenly would do 31 mph easily, and I was thrilled.

I hope you figure it out.
Well, I bought this 1973 MirroCraft 16-foot Lake Fisherman last November from people who just wanted to get rid of it. Boat, motor trailer for $500, which was originally from Wisconsin, I wanted the boat more than anything else due to the aluminum quality to restore and use it in Florida. I have a background in restoring antique and classic outboards, my favorites are the Evinrudes. So, curiosity got the best of me and wanted to see if this 1998 Mercury Force would run, and it did after cleaning up the carburetor, and then I measured the compression in both cylinders 160-lbs each ... this motor basically had no hours on it. After 3-months of work I completed the restore project and tested it this last Tuesday to see how it would run, that is when I discovered the large swing between factory specs and operating WOT speeds. All the other criteria of the setup are correct cavitation plate etc., another plausible possibility is I stripped the bottom to raw aluminum and coated it with FASCO Super Slick epoxy with Teflon to seal any possible leaks and give the bottom a smoother profile ... and it is slick. It would be hard to believe it would make that much difference. Faria is the manufacturer of the tach capable of 8000 RPM and I followed the installation and settings to the letter at 12-poles. I bought it from Great Lakes Skipper and in the processes of confirming the setting.

Attachments

• Mirrocraft 16 Lake Fisherman Find.jpg
    Mirrocraft 16 Lake Fisherman Find.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1973 MirroCraft Lake Fisherman Restored.jpg
    1973 MirroCraft Lake Fisherman Restored.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1
Well, I bought this 1973 MirroCraft 16-foot Lake Fisherman last November from people who just wanted to get rid of it. Boat, motor trailer for $500, which was originally from Wisconsin, I wanted the boat more than anything else due to the aluminum quality to restore and use it in Florida. I have a background in restoring antique and classic outboards, my favorites are the Evinrudes. So, curiosity got the best of me and wanted to see if this 1998 Mercury Force would run, and it did after cleaning up the carburetor, and then I measured the compression in both cylinders 160-lbs each ... this motor basically had no hours on it. After 3-months of work I completed the restore project and tested it this last Tuesday to see how it would run, that is when I discovered the large swing between factory specs and operating WOT speeds. All the other criteria of the setup are correct cavitation plate etc., another plausible possibility is I stripped the bottom to raw aluminum and coated it with FASCO Super Slick epoxy with Teflon to seal any possible leaks and give the bottom a smoother profile ... and it is slick. It would be hard to believe it would make that much difference. Faria is the manufacturer of the tach capable of 8000 RPM and I followed the installation and settings to the letter at 12-poles. I bought it from Great Lakes Skipper and in the processes of confirming the setting.

That sounds good, but does the motor SOUND like it's running 7k? Your ears can tell you a lot.

As you accelerate, does it reach a point where it keeps revving more without gaining much speed? It could be a spun prop hub. I've seen that many of times. Here are a few other thoughts:
  • Is the prop visibly damaged?
  • Could your motor be bolted too high on the transom? (drop a hole or two)
  • Could the motor be trimmed up too high? (Check the location of the stop pin)
  • Could it be the wrong shaft length for the transom? I've seen that many times, too!
Just trying to help you think of some common causes of over-revving, if it's not the tach.

Back to the tachometer... Your setting of 12P should be right, but there is the possibility that it's either 8 or 20 pole. Here is the chart: https://fariabeede.com/site_manuals/IS0086_V.pdf

Sometimes, when a Force motor has ignition issues, owners will swap parts out from a parts motor, and the settings won't be correct for the year. I've seen that, too. SHOULD be a 12, but it's an 8.

Just for kicks, try setting it at 8 pole and maybe at 20 pole and see if it seems right. Does that tach have a 20P setting? Not all do. Make sure that you are pushing in a little as you adjust the pole settings, or it can mess up the tab inside, then you just have to guess where it lands.

Finally, on to the prop... It's possible that you need to go up in pitch, but it doesn't seem likely. Average RPM change is about 200 rpm per pitch. You need to drop about 1400 RPM, so that puts you 7-8P higher, meaning you will need about a 21 pitch prop.

I have NEVER seen a 50 that will push a lake boat with a 21P prop.

The above checks are pretty quick and easy. If everything above checks out and all indications are that the motor is over-revving, I recommend that you get a 15P Mercury prop from Walmart online, West Marine, or somewhere else that will accept a clean return, and then try it and see what happens.

I hope you are able to figure it out. Those little engines aren't the strongest, but they run really well, as long as you don't let them overheat. INSTALL A TELL-TALE IF IT DOESN'T ALREADY HAVE ONE!

Here is my update. had to replace my propeller with a Michigan Wheel 11.25" x 17 pitch, GPS speed 32 MPH, RPM went from 7000 to 5000. Thanks everyone for their help!

Interesting. There must have been something going on with your old prop, perhaps it was mislabeled or the hub was slipping. Regardless, the updates are always appreciated and I'm glad you got it sorted.

Here is my update. had to replace my propeller with a Michigan Wheel 11.25" x 17 pitch, GPS speed 32 MPH, RPM went from 7000 to 5000. Thanks everyone for their help!
Good job!
Swap it out with a 15P, if you can. A 15P of the same model prop should get you @ 5,400 RPM, which is right, if your WOT is 5500. Maybe a touch more RPM and speed than you are currently getting, if you trim up the motor a little for max speed.

Especially if you tend to have others with you would that difference in pitch be helpful, as it will improve your holeshot and acceleration. It might raise your top speed, too, but it will probably do the exact same speed at WOT, but will just breathe a little more freely.

Last edited:
Good job!
Swap it out with a 15P, if you can. A 15P of the same model prop should get you @ 5,400 RPM, which is right, if your WOT is 5500. Maybe a touch more RPM and speed than you are currently getting, if you trim up the motor a little for max speed.

Especially if you tend to have others with you would that difference in pitch be helpful, as it will improve your holeshot and acceleration. It might raise your top speed, too, but it will probably do the exact same speed at WOT, but will just breathe a little more freely.
I was thinking the same thing ... it would be a good excuse to tell my wife I need a spare propeller.

Interesting. There must have been something going on with your old prop, perhaps it was mislabeled or the hub was slipping. Regardless, the updates are always appreciated and I'm glad you got it sorted.
Yes, definitely something about the old prop. I've had props in the past that just weren't right, according to the stamped specs.

I was thinking the same thing ... it would be a good excuse to tell my wife I need a spare propeller.
If you bought new, swap it out, and use your old prop as your emergency spare.

If used, maybe post it on Craigslist or Facebook, saying you are willing to trade for a 15P or sell outright.

That sounds right. Some hubs go out completely, and you can barely move the boat. Other props only slip at higher thrust levels, and can still be used somewhat, like yours.

Glad you figured it out!