Minn Kota 36 lbs thrust on 12 footer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmounter

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a 2005 Minn Kota Endura trolling motor (36lbs. of thrust), that is like new, on my lightweight 12 ft aluminum boat to use as my main motor, instead of an outboard. My local fishing lake is about 3 miles long and 2 miles wide. I probably won't go very far to get to my fishing spots and I will not do much trolling. I may even buy an extra battery to have on hand. What are the thoughts on this?

If the TM in question has the battery maximizer technology, then u should be good to go. I had a 04 43# MG 5 speed TM on my tracker pt175 and I could troll all day long at 1mph. If you have a good battery and don't overload the boat with gear, should be ok imo

thats a fairly big lake to have only 36lbs of thrust i have been on my 43 acre pond and wish i had a bigger motor when the wind picked up

i have to disagree, i had the same setup in my 12' before i got my outboard, i never had problems in the wind and my outboard is a POS so most of the time im stuck using my trolling motor and it still pulls us through anything. i bought a large battery and was able to fish on it non stop for a couple days. you should be find, i did bring a paddle in case something happened though.

You will be fine with that setup. I ran a 30# on my 14' Starcraft and it moved it around really nice. The biggest problem you will have with the wind is, blowing the bow of the boat around if you don't have enough weight forward in the boat.

Latest posts