Minn Kota 3HP Repair-Wanna see it's guts?UPDATE 3/19/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I been all over google like a broke hooker.That's how I found Bob Ridgway at Ridgway Marine.The 3HP was only made 2 years and it wasn't a very popular model.

Found an armature but the brushes are no longer available.I don't think the unit is worth the money.The armature is available by special order at $93.95 + shipping.I still haven't been able to test the circuit board to be sure that it wasn't damaged when I tried to test the unit when I got it.Maybe I will luck up and find a good used unit or a unit that is damaged with a good armature.

Ben, Do you have exact measurements of the mtor brushes. I work on power wheelchairs and have access to alot of different brushes. Maybe I can match some up that will work on your motor. Do your brushes have shunts (wire sticking out the back side)?

rcgreat said:
Ben, Do you have exact measurements of the mtor brushes. I work on power wheelchairs and have access to alot of different brushes. Maybe I can match some up that will work on your motor. Do your brushes have shunts (wire sticking out the back side)?

I can get the measurements and yes the brushes have really thick braided copper shunts with O ring terminals.Thanks.I'll PM you the measurements when I have them.

Update.I waited to long to try and order a new armature for the trolling motor.There no longer available.So now I am seeking out a broken unit with a good armature.There is a mod that uses a weedeater motor and gears to turn it into a gas powered trolling motor.May do that if I can't find an armature.

if you change your mind about parting it out let me know i have a working 3hp but a bent shaft and know way to trim the motor i would be intrested in the shaft

is the broken part something you can have fabricated???
I think i have a 3hp motor at my cabin might want o look at the gas motor mod myself

Wayne

huntndeer said:
if you change your mind about parting it out let me know i have a working 3hp but a bent shaft and know way to trim the motor i would be intrested in the shaft

I will let you know.My shaft is pressed into the motor housing.There is 3 different models of the 3HP.

redbug said:
is the broken part something you can have fabricated???
I think i have a 3hp motor at my cabin might want o look at the gas motor mod myself

Wayne

No the armature can't be fabricated.Well,it could be but at an astronomical price.The motor took a hard prop strike and knocked the commutator into the brushes.I tried pressing it back into the windings but just ruined them.I thought about having the armature rewound but that is as much as a new trolling motor.