Mixed Bag Monday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigngrub

Reaction score
Got out Monday afternoon for some Crappie trolling.

Things started off kind of slow (as usual).

The first fish was this this Spotted Bass:
DSC02368.jpg

Not a huge fish, but a nice specimen that put up quite a fight on the UL Crappie tackle. It was released after the pic.

Tried a couple of other places with just a couple of dink Spots biting.

As the afternoon started getting later the action picked up and I managed to put 8 Crappie in the livewell until a school of Striped Bass moved in and started attacking my jigs. I managed 4 of those with a couple I couldn't do anything with on the light tackle.

The keeper creel for the day:
DSC02370.jpg

Even though it was only 12 fish, they still made for a healthy gallon Zip loc bag of fillets:
DSC02371.jpg

is that Italian dressing for the marinade??? always did that with chicken, never thought about it for fish

russ010 said:
is that Italian dressing for the marinade??? always did that with chicken, never thought about it for fish

Yes it is! It makes for an excellent grilled, baked, or poached fish dinner.

I marinate them in the dressing overnight in the fridge, then I put them up in 2 serving portions (just me and the wife) in the Foodsaver vac-loc bags like this:
DSC02372.jpg

Then whenever we want fish for dinner I just drop the bag of frozen fillets in a pot of boiling for 30 minutes, when it's done take the fish out of the bag and you have an excellent poached fish dinner. It's quick and easy and you doesn't smell the house up with that cooked fish odor that can last for days.

I've never had anyone say they didn't like it or didn't eat it, and they're usually looking for more after it's all gone.

As a variation I'll cut the frozen bag open and dump 3 or 4 big tablespoons of salsa in with the fish and then revac seal it and cook it the same way for a fancier dish.

Latest posts