mixed fuel in a four stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txneal

Reaction score
I've got a question regarding fuel that I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out with. I have a 1973 Evinrude 25hp motor that I don't get to use as often as I'd like, so I frequently end up with a tank full of fuel that sits around for so long that I don't feel good about running it through my Evinrude anymore. In the past, I've been giving it to a friend who uses it as fire starter. I just dump it out of my fuel tank and into his container and then go refill my tank with fresh fuel. Once again, I have found myself with about 5 gallons of already mixed fuel that has been in my tank for several weeks and now I want to get rid of it and fill up with fresh fuel before I fire up the motor again.

Just this morning, I was discussing this with a guy who is 75 years old, has a masters degree in chemistry, and spent his entire life in the gasoline and oil business. I told him how I don't like using old ethanol gas in my boat motor and how I've been getting rid of tank fulls after it sits too long. His advice to me was to simply pour that old gas from my boat motor tank into another container, check it for water, and then put it into the fuel tank of my truck. I asked him about the fact that it is already mixed with 2-cycle oil and he says it won't hurt a thing to use it in my truck. He claims that if I put 5 gallons in there and then fill the tank up the rest of the way, it will be so diluted that it won't even make a difference. I like the idea of not wasting 5 gallons of gas, but I'm still a little leary about running this stuff in my truck with the 2 cycle oil in it. He certainly seems knowledgeable and has almost convinced me that it won't hurt my truck to run this gas in it, but I'm still needing a little more confirmation before I put this stuff into my truck's fuel tank. So, If any of you guys have some input on this, I would be most appreciative of your comments.

figure you run 50 to 1 in 5 gallons
and say you have a 25 gallon tank
so that's 250 to 1
its not gonna cause a problem... we add fuel treatment and whatnot alot more than 250 than one
as long as it isn't every tank of fuel it wouldn't be a problem \:D/

It'll work fine. Once my dad accidentally pumped about 5 gallons of diesel into his Ford pickup. He topped the sest of the tank with gasoline and drove it. The only thing was the exhaust smelled like a bus until the fuel was used up. :mrgreen: I have been known to use weedeater gas in my lawnmower to finsih the lawn with no ill effects.

Latest posts