Mon Ark 1648 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is more room around the side of that console than what there appeared to be in earlier pics. Looking good.

Are you sure about the brand on the rod holders? I've never seen any Driftmaster brand at Wholesale Marine. I also double checked after reading your post and still can't find any on their site.

Hey it is starting to come along....looks good. I will be back at mine later this week. I have been building some stone crab traps for extra money........santa is coming.

J Michael- you are 100% right- I get my sites mixed up.

I went to bottom dwellers tackle for the rod holders and they are MUCH cheaper than all other sites.

https://www.bottomdwellerstackle.com/

As for wholesalemarine.com - they had great prices on the teleflex steering and control cables--

bigwave said:
You can feed your steering cables under the deck. I recommend that you use a 1 1/2 pvc pipe for a chase tube secured under the deck. You can make long sweeping 90's back up to the motor and on you throttle body.

BigWave-

To further your suggestion-- I got two options- see diagram-- I dont have enough room to run a PVC under the Ribs, and I can run the controls under the ribs along the water drain channels, but it would be just cable on boat bottom, and as you know, thats where water (if any) drains down to the back of the boat. if I ran the controls via a PVC pipe I would need to drill through every rib (4) and run a pipe and then run the cables through the pipe, that can be done, but I wonder if drilling through all four rinbs from back to center bench, (say a 1'' hole) is smart and will hurt their structural integrity? I can reinforce them etc, but sounds like a pain. but might be what I have to do, the PLY deck will lay flat on top of the ribs so as far as a PVC run, thats my only option really.

BTW- the new teleflex cables CCX17914 TFCTREME that replace the old CC179's are MUCH more flexible and managable- so thats good.

As for my steering cable- that puppy is a beast and I might just say screw it and run it along the gun wale tough tough run under the deck.

Thanks again for all of your ideas!

Attachments

• Control Cables RUN 1648 MonArk.png
    Control Cables RUN 1648 MonArk.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,213
jmcaswell said:
J Michael- you are 100% right- I get my sites mixed up.

I went to bottom dwellers tackle for the rod holders and they are MUCH cheaper than all other sites.

https://www.bottomdwellerstackle.com/

As for wholesalemarine.com - they had great prices on the teleflex steering and control cables--

That was a timely link. I picked up a Driftmaster 250 H that I'd been considering for a while and saved a few bucks. Thanks

Man this is one sweet lookin jon boat, love the center console on it, and how you kept the center brace! Nice work! =D> =D>

Used Dad's Easy Spray® Stain and Varnish Remover from Ace Hardware to remove old paint. The gel is thin and very easy to paint, worked very quick and the old paint litterally scrapped right off. MUCH better thank the Klean Strip KS33 premium. I dont know if it was just the type of paint etc, but this Dads stuff worked much much better and it went from a 8 hr job to a 2 hr job.

jmcaswell said:
THanks Big Wave.

Coming along got some work done this weekend.

FYI --- WholeSale Marine has AWESOME PRICES https://www.wholesalemarine.com/

There steering and control cables are 10% cheaper, their driftmaster rod holders are way cheaper than everybody else- and thats all I have purchased from them so far. plus they have a 10% coupon code- welcomemarine10 !!

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT IM DOING TO MY 78' MONARK 164812 12 12 1171123.jpg

Well I finally got the boat all stripped down and primed up-

I have now put on two coats of Rusto clean metal primer and wet sanded with 400 grit- its looking really nice, like a soft powder white- the Finish coat will look great- debating putting a 3rd coat of primer / sanding on again just to really make that Finish coat shine!

Anybody put on a clear gloss coat after the final?

I am using the Rusto Marine top side paint (after much debate)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    476.9 KB · Views: 1,108
Two coats of primer will suffice. One will actually do.....I put two coats on mine and it was over-kill IMO. The clear coat for final will make the color pop and give you a little more protection.

Finally getting some work done!!

Prepped, stripped, sanded, primed and spray painted with Rusto Marine Paint. She sure is blue! (navy)

I spent alot of time wet sanding the prime coat layers and it paid off. the final coat(s) layed down awesome and looks great.

Getting all the wiring done soon and then will finish laying deck/carpet.

Also- i went with a different carpet - 20oz bass boat carpet- not only was it a good price it is very high quality, none loop and the texture of it is very fine and high quality. it pulled around the plywood very nice and is very plush but still very "thin" to the ground. def recomenned.

https://www.boatcarpetbuys.com/bass-boat-carpet-spartan.aspx

Attachments

• jan13 1.JPG
    jan13 1.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 1,069
  • jan 13.jpeg
    jan 13.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 1,069
Finally coming along.

I am figured- if you want to build something like this how you want it- there is no way to lay out the steering and control cables perfectly. The steering has some decent bends in it as you can see but the wheels turning. I wonder if its too tight and I will have to relieve it at some pt. cant wait to get this baby on the water.

Attachments

• Boat Feb.jpeg
    Boat Feb.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • boat feb 2.JPG
    boat feb 2.JPG
    591.3 KB · Views: 1,015
So i was kicking around how and where to mount my Lowrance sonar. I got a RAM mount and it is awesome. Its heavy duty quality at $40 and as you can see and can position it anyway I want. by facing it fwd the front seated passenger can control it easy.

I got it from https://www.themountdepot.com/RAM_111U_p/ram-111u.htm

this website had the best price and shipped really quick

Attachments

• m.jpeg
    m.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 994
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 994
yeah the model I bought RAM-111U has a plate that can fit alot of diffrent sonars. and they sell many more that work.

I was super impressed with the quality of the ram mount. its heavy stainless steal and adjusting it is super easy with the ball mounts, and when you tighten it, it locks in tight. great quality.

Sorry for the necro bump, but how is your boat working out? I just picked up the same boat, and I am considering a center console as well. Any updates will be greatly appreciated.