"Money Talks" progress photos

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do two pieces of flat stock for the gunnels, however it won't be as rigid as it should nor will it look very finished once installed. I would try a piece of square stock, even if it is only 3/4".

It doesn't look like the original metal was very strong, makes me think 50's - 60's hull.

Wow. Pretty cool if it is that old. Its in good structural shape if that is the case. Thanks for the info

Here are some rough installs of benches.

Also I temporarily put on the custom transom corner braces and the bow brace.

And of course the decals.

BTW, if anyone wants this type of stuff done, I have a guy that does this work at a really good price that does it on the side.

See attached and provide thoughts.

Diamond plate bow.jpg
Diamond plate corners.jpg
Money Talks.jpg

Got any contact info for this guy that makes those braces. I been looking at the exact same thing on my old boat. Also putting Diamond Plate on the outside of my Transom.

Don't be shy, a rivet gun is your friend in these boat mods. If I had 10 cents for every rivet I have in my build I would be breaking even on the materials cost...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355610#p355610 said:
Mattais33 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm[/url]"]Criticism very much welcomed. [/attachment]

Hmmmm where do I start????

It is an aluminum boat - why are you painting it? Does nothing to help it work better last longer or catch fish!

My advice - skip all this nonsense and just use it to go fishing

Fish more paint less!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356795#p356795 said:
Captain Ahab » 23 Jun 2014, 17:13[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355610#p355610 said:
Mattais33 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm[/url]"]Criticism very much welcomed. [/attachment]

Hmmmm where do I start????

It is an aluminum boat - why are you painting it? Does nothing to help it work better last longer or catch fish!

My advice - skip all this nonsense and just use it to go fishing

Fish more paint less!

Paint has 1 real advantage ( besides making a boat look good ) It protects the hull from wear. I've seen hulls that have been worn thin through years of beaching & dragging it over gravel shoals. Over time the layers of paint are taken off from such activities and eventually layers of aluminum. My buddy had a late 50's era Lone Star 14ft v hull. It had been through such activities in its life by the time my buddy had gotten it; it already had a very thin hull. On my first trip in it with him we bumped the edge of ramp and it opened up a hole the size of a nickel in the bow. At first it wasn't noticeable but halfway up the creek we had to find a place to pull it ashore or sink. The boat was eventually scrapped because he couldn't find a buyer that couldn't get past the thin hull. So I say paint away if you want your boat to last.

Onto the transom. Looks like there used to be something here. I have an older Merc 20 2 stroke tiller that I would like to put on here. Any suggestions on the transom?
1. Can I run a solid 2"x12" type material (such as white oak as previously posted) and then seal it?
2. Do I need to secure the gunnels to the side of the transom or is it enough to just do through bolts through the aluminum?

Any suggestions for this would be great.

Thanks guys. See attached photos for existing conditions so you can see the construction. Again, any idea what brand boat this would be would be great....lol

transom 1.jpg
transom 2.jpg
transom 3.jpg
transom 4.jpg

Through bolts would be what I would do. I would also make some sort of corner brace. Solid boards are OK, but I prefer plywood. I'm a fiberglass man, but just about anything would work. What ever skill set you have is what I'd do. If sanding the wood a bit and using spar urethane is what you can do, do it. Just make sure you seal every hole you put I'm it.