MotorGuide bow mount hand control?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zr7cat

Reaction score
I just got my new MotorGuide catalog in the mail and was checking out this VariMax bow mount hand control unit. Any members have one of these. Thinking of getting a 55 lbs 12 volt 50" shaft for the grizzly 1448. Looks like it would be nice and keep the deck a bit cleaner. With the limited room on the front deck, the hand control seems like it would work well. Any thoughts. thanks I looked in the bass pro shops book, $419

I went to the Bass Pro shops the other day to look around and check out my Grizzly 1448 Im gonna get, man cant wait. I was looking at the Motorguide trolling motors and Im just going to go with the foot control.

Post some pics of the Grizzly when you get it! Just my personal preference, even though I have a hand-control tm on the rear of my boat, but I seem to be able to drive better using the front foot-control tm. :)

Don't get a varimax.. I had one and had some problems with it, and after I fixed it and sold it with my boat, I got a letter from MG saying theres a design flaw. Chances are they fixed it, but who knows if you'd get an older one or not.

I have a Varimax 55 and it works great. I used on the bow of my 18 foot pontoon all summer and just put in on my 15' Tin Boat. The battery life is awesome. There is a recall on it for an electrical issue that I plan to have taken care of over the winter. It take a little while getting used to the push/pull reverse, but so far so good. I really like the battery monitor as well. Paid like $250 for it at Cabelas. I was actually able to get it to mount on the bow of my pontoon without any additional brackets which was a bonus.

Ihave a 50# Minn Kota on my 2000 14' Ultra Jon and I think it does great. I also added a momentary switch, extended handle and had a friend make me a bracket I drew up.DSC00019.JPG