My 1986 Tracker V-!6 Tiller Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtehlert

Reaction score
My son and I restored a Tracker Guide Series V-16

It came out pretty good. I bought a new Mercury 20hp four stroke. I does a pretty good job, but I have a question for you guys?
I am thinking of adding a dolphin to the motor. How well do they work?????? Is it worth adding it? I all ready called Mercury and they told me that it wouldn't void the warranty.

Worth it or not..............????????????????

I don't think it would hurt but are you having problems plaining or what? They're fine to add but I wouldn't put one on just to put one on.

Dumb is what dumb does :oops:

We bought the boat and trailer for 500 bucs here in texas.
We cleaned it all up, new floors and transom. Painted it a little, new motor and it's time to fish!

The deal with the dolphin is I'm a big guy. It comes out of the water kinda slow. I know I'm asking alot out of a 20hp motor, but I'm just trying to tweek it a bit.

Best speed with two people and junk......20mph

This may help

https://www.basspro.com/SE-Sport-High-Performance-Hydrofoil/product/1103/115298

or something like it. I have notice big differences in boat that have them vs ones that dont. Speaking of course about it coming up on a plane faster.

Try adjusting the trim on your motor, 4 strokes aren`t known for having a holeshot like a 2 stroke so maybe its giving you all shes got. Top speed seems about right with that size boat. Nice job looks great!

Hydrofoil prevents steep plaining not allowing it to plain. I would suggest adjusting the trim with the manual bar the crosses the bracket. Btw I like how your boat came out. I redid my 1985 bass tracker v16 and I love them. I run a 15 hp 4 stroke Yamaha.

I WOULD TRY RAISING YOUR ENGINE 1-1/2 TO 2 INCHES. AS LONG AS YOUR CAVITATION PLATES NOT 2 INCHES OR SO ABOVE YOUR HULL IN THE WATER IT SHOULD BE OK. MY BUDDY HAS A 25HP FOUR STROKE ON A 16FT V AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, PUT A 2BY ON HIS TRANSOM TO RAISE MOTOR AND IT PLANES EASIER AND STAYS UP WITH LESS THROTTLE. HE CLAIMS ITS A BIT FASTER NOW TOO.....

UtahBassKicker said:
I don't think it would hurt but are you having problems plaining or what? They're fine to add but I wouldn't put one on just to put one on.

yep, if it isn't needed, it isn't needed.
bumpy

Latest posts