my first MOD. '96 16ft alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the link to Bufford's build, check it out.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9912

Coolers work great because they are insulated, which helps down here in the south. I also like it because you can still fill it up w/ ice and use it as a cooler if needed. Bottom line, the livewell is up to you. I don't fish tournaments and if I'm keeping fish they go right in the cooler, minnows go in a minnow bucket. The livewell is always a super nice touch, but they do take up much needed room in a 14' boat. I've always subscribed to the keep it simple process and put as little do-dads in my boat as possible, no wiring, leaks, etc to fiddle with.

I hear ya. thanks. my well would be to keep blueback herring live, which is a 3-4 inch fish, which need to be live when fishing with.

thanks,

I fish Rabun and Burton a lot and use alot of blueback herring. I need to get a good basic baitwell set up!

Mods are coming along great, front deck is getting framed up and looking good. Pics to follow.

1) Baitwell. Lots of folks have recomended the grayline systems. Any other good recs on an all inclusive system for a 5-10 gallon tank. Or should I buy a smaller cooler, and mod myself? so many options.

https://www.graylinebaittanks.com/?page=12&sku=11WWASS

2) I am not going to get into repainting the entire boat. Its in good shape, kinda rough looking and I like it that way (for now) But I am going to treat the insides particullary the parts that will be covered with a new coat of something. Will rusto-olum do the trick or should I spray with something else?

Thanks to all.

Jim

I don't fish with bluebacks, but if I'm not mistaken..... they require a rounded livewell to prevent them from dying quickly. That may rule out a square cooler/livewell.

coming along!

got the decking in. i have located to quality outdoor marine carpet and will be installing it this week.

Classic Dorsett carpet: https://www.basspro.com/Dorsett-Classic-Marine-Carpet/product/96836/

I didnt like the quality, weight or backing of the Lowes outdoor and I really dont want to redo this in a year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 1,716
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 1,716
men im coming along. new pics to follow.

Debating between carpet lined deck or NON skid paint? for the plywood decks.

I know carpet will look much better but..

A guy at west marine said that esp when cast netting, the carpet will be a mess to clean. Advice? thoughts?

Im researching carpet now and have located some quality marine carpet, the stuff at lowes will not last I believe.

I bought carpet from boatcarpetsales off of ebay. Fairly impressed with the quality thus far, much better than the Lowes/Home Depot option. It's still going in so it hasn't yet stood the test of time, but the look and feel has made me a believer.

DD

jmcaswell said:
men im coming along. new pics to follow.

Debating between carpet lined deck or NON skid paint? for the plywood decks.

I know carpet will look much better but..

A guy at west marine said that esp when cast netting, the carpet will be a mess to clean. Advice? thoughts?

Im researching carpet now and have located some quality marine carpet, the stuff at lowes will not last I believe.

I redid my decks this August, went from carpet to non skid paint. Other than looks, the non skid is hands down a better option. My kid can spill whatever and I don't care, people can track in dirt from the river, catfish slime, everything cleans up so easy.

COMING ALONG! See pics.

I need to build some kind of casing in the middle bench to case in the cooler I am putting in there. and secure it. protect the stryofoam , etc. any cool ideas?

Battery setup--- SIMPLE. battery to TM and 12v to air/pump and depth finder. to a need a break etc? or can i connect all directly and not worry about it?

Nobody has a trailer for sale in Atlanta/North GA do THEY?!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,469
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,469
Here is is my "basic" set up. nothing fancy at all. just want it sturdy and work well. any tips etc / ideas yall think of let me know

Jim

Attachments

• 1436 basic set up.jpg
    1436 basic set up.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,468
setup looks good - but you may want to move some of the larger items to the middle or the other side of the boat... they way you have it set up now, you're more than likely going to be weight heavy on the right side of the boat and have a little "lean" when you are on that side fishing

Thanks Russ. Def going to center the fuel/batteries etc to balance.

OK. I need advice and or tips from the creative minds of this forum.

My front storage comp for my 1436 isnt a large area. i want to store my batteries in there. ones a stradard big boy thats 11'' wide 7" tall etc. The prob is that the storage area bows upward as the front of Jons do, to meet the edge of the front bench, therefor the storage area is deep at first (11.5'' at the rib and shallows up to 7" or so at the front by the front bench walls. I can secure the batteries etc, and they are an "angle" but theres not alot of depth to access the compartment. esp if i built a hatch door in the front ply wall, it would be a pain to reach in there, re wire, charge batts, remove batts etc. SO i am thinking I must building an access hatch/door in the top deck of the the new ply deck to easily access the storage comp, mess with batts, wiring, toggle switches/power box etc.

the question is , how to do it. so its A) stable B) looks good C) the 3/4" play doesnt warp at the door/hatch area. So i have designed several options. either a) build a hatch "door"
B) hinge the entire front ply deck in same fashion, like a big hood I can open ( SEE PLANS BELOW)

C) order a nice pre made one like this link below ( can I walk fish on this?)
https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=434357&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50680&classNum=50682

Attachments

• front storage comp.JPG
    front storage comp.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • 1436 Front Deck Hatch Storage Access Plan.png
    1436 Front Deck Hatch Storage Access Plan.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,447
sorry this is going to be short, but I didn't have enough time to read the whole thing...

But - be careful putting those types of batteries on an incline... The only type of battery that I would put anyway but vertical would be a sealed AGM or Gel battery.. Wet cells are (in my opinion) made to be set vertical so that all cells are wet and they are vertical 99% of the time. That's why I put my batteries in the first bench closet to the bow - so that they had no way of seeping or spilling acid out.

I'll try to read more tomorrow and give some more ideas.

Coming Along

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,429
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,429
  • internal.jpeg
    internal.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,429
Boys--I finished up my project, it was awesome, spent 5xs as much as I thought and my wife hates me, but it was awesome. Caught a nive 5 lb spot and some walleye the first day out! Now I want to trade in my 1436 for a 1648.. great!

Attachments

• rwertwer.jpeg
    rwertwer.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 1,355
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • bubs.jpg
    bubs.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 121212.JPG
    121212.JPG