My first project. 1963 Alumacraft 16' V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for posting this build! I have the exact same boat, although I'm not sure what year it is. I completely redone the Gator trailer that came with the boat about three years ago, including adding roller bunks, new hubs, Bearing Buddies, winch, lights, paint, and tires and gutted the boat, but due to a lack of funds, time and a clear vision as to the best way to go about installing decks, that is all the further I have gotten. I even have the carpet, seats, pedestals, Anchor Mates, anchors, trolling motor and a 20hp motor. Maybe this year? Thanks again! =D>

I have a question i havn't quite gotten answered yet. On your connectors when connecting the wood to the actual aluminum of the boat, are they stainless? or just galvinized? I know that galvinized will cause corrosion over time when placed against aluminum. Just wondering, i guess my question to anyone whom may have an answer is, can you get these connectors in stainless? my other option is to make them out of aluminum.

Millertime,

I saw where you posted that you had fabricated your decking then glued the carpet down and poked the edges in with a putty knife. I am trying to figure out how to make the carpet look clean and was not sure if that is how most people do it? Or do they carpet the wood first, then screw it down to the seats and what not. For example, On your front deck below....the hatch lids I assume were carpeted first then attached....but the main deck was carpteted after you screwed it down to the boat? How did you do that inside area where the trolling motor pedal goes?

Also, on your back deck, will you just push the carpet edges in around the edges? If so, do you use contact cement on it and push it up under? I want that clean look, just too dumb to figure it out i guess!

Flat Bottom said:
I have a question i havn't quite gotten answered yet. On your connectors when connecting the wood to the actual aluminum of the boat, are they stainless? or just galvinized? I know that galvinized will cause corrosion over time when placed against aluminum. Just wondering, i guess my question to anyone whom may have an answer is, can you get these connectors in stainless? my other option is to make them out of aluminum.

2nd on this question. Does anyone know where to get framing brackets in s/s or is there anything you can paint/coat the galvinized brackets with so they don't react with the aluminum?

Flat Bottom said:

Sorry for not answering. Been out fishing :D I used aluminum angle when connecting the wood to the sides of the boat. I cut a 1.5" piece of angle, drilled 2 holes in each side. One side got pop riveted to the side of the boat, the other side got a 2x2 bracket pop riveted to it. I think you can see this in one of the close-up photos.

tfizzle172 said:
Millertime,

I saw where you posted that you had fabricated your decking then glued the carpet down and poked the edges in with a putty knife. I am trying to figure out how to make the carpet look clean and was not sure if that is how most people do it? Or do they carpet the wood first, then screw it down to the seats and what not. For example, On your front deck below....the hatch lids I assume were carpeted first then attached....but the main deck was carpteted after you screwed it down to the boat? How did you do that inside area where the trolling motor pedal goes?

Also, on your back deck, will you just push the carpet edges in around the edges? If so, do you use contact cement on it and push it up under? I want that clean look, just too dumb to figure it out i guess!

I did not want to look at all the screws on top of the deck, so I screwed it down, then glued the carpet down. I cut the carpet about 1.5" longer than I needed on each side and then stuffed it down around the edges with the putty knife. Where a hatch was, I cut an 'x' in the carpet and folded it down and glued it. I then cut little triangles to fill in the corners so it looked finished. I then carpeted the hatches, wrapping the carpet under each lid. The lid was then attached with the hinge. Hope this answered your question...

great job, I was wonder my self about stability of my boat glad to hear you have no issues with this..

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362295#p362295 said:
coreythompson » Yesterday, 18:39[/url]"]great job, I was wonder my self about stability of my boat glad to hear you have no issues with this..

It was actually very comfortable with the setup we had. I had a crate with tackle boxes and about 7 or 8 rods on the floor in the middle and he fished the front while I fished from the rear. We were each able to stand and fish without really minding what the other person was doing, a couple times I did sort of a half roll and catch myself, but nothing where I was going over, just like when I leaned over and a wave pushed up from the other side, regular jon boat stuff.

SuDZ

Weber89 said:
How did you come up with all the measurements to frame the front deck?

I recently sold the boat, but most of the measurements and cuts I made were first done with cardboard cut to shape and size, and then traced onto plywood.

SuDZ