My new ride.. Advice suggestions wanted

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queencitybassman

Reaction score
So my smokercraft was a great boat but it was tough trying to find a trailer, motor, everything for it so i sold it for $275. Then i bought this no name boat that is definitely a project but it has a trailer, tilt trailer, 9.5 evinrude, trolling motor.. some old mods.. for $250 brought it home and am excited about working on it. This is her. Shes not pretty but a little TLC i plan to make her nice. Let me know what you guys think.. shes a open canvas for suggestions and idea as i have not started working on her yet.

Attachments

• craigslisting 059.JPG
    craigslisting 059.JPG
    798.1 KB · Views: 1,803
  • craigslisting 058.JPG
    craigslisting 058.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 1,803
  • craigslisting 057.JPG
    craigslisting 057.JPG
    846.5 KB · Views: 1,803
  • craigslisting 056.JPG
    craigslisting 056.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 1,803
  • craigslisting 055.JPG
    craigslisting 055.JPG
    765.2 KB · Views: 1,803
  • craigslisting 054.JPG
    craigslisting 054.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 1,803
All I can say is to take your time and do your research. Bad craftsmanship shows and nothings worse that getting on the water and having something break on you.

It's hard to tell but does the exterior transom wood hang down below the hull?

Thanks guys.. ya i think the motor works going to take it to the lake tommorow to test her out it is a 9.5 evinrude sportstwin.. no leaks and seems pretty solid. Yeah that piece of wood on the transom is hanging low it wont be there long though because After testing i will be stripping the boat. I am trying to figure out where I will put a livewell. I am having a difficult time finding places to place storage compartments. I do not want to take out any benches. I am trying to take my time to do a solid job with this boat since it is my first mod. I will keep you guys updated but in the meantime id love advice and tips and ideas.

alright, is it just me, or does the boat have the same texture as a golf ball? I believe myth busters concluded that it does help aerodynamics, I forget the details, but I vaguely remember those two fools covering a car in clay and then putting dimples in it? So am I seeing things or does this boat actually have dimples?

sturdi87 said:
alright, is it just me, or does the boat have the same texture as a golf ball? I believe myth busters concluded that it does help aerodynamics, I forget the details, but I vaguely remember those two fools covering a car in clay and then putting dimples in it? So am I seeing things or does this boat actually have dimples?

I didn't see that the first time I looked at it. It should defintaly be a conversation starter. I like them, Wonder what that is all about.

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy primer and paint so i can redo the camo job on this boat. Money is a little tight so nothing super expensive. Also does anyone have any idea where i can stick a livewell im having a difficult time mapping out a good place to build a livewell. What kind of livewell will be most efficient. Thanks guys.

Just a thought if you are looking for storage are you could reframe the benches and make it to where the seats sit on a door that way the bench is also storage and is out of the way. do not know if you could do the same for the bow once you remove the plywood but it might make for some storage area also. As far as paint someone on here will let you know what will work good for paint. I am also looking for good paint for a mod that I am going to start in a couple of months.

For paint, I went with the Parker coatings duck boat paint. It is oil based and has a dull sheen. They have about 5 or 6 different colors. I went with Bay Gray. I called them up and ordered over the phone. Go to their website to see the colors. I didn't have to do much priming as mine already had a good coat of paint with zero peeling. But what priming I have done, I used etching primer spray cans from Walmart's automotive section. I have yet to apply the duck boat paint so no info on final results. Also I have bought a couple of camo spray cans from Lowes. There are 3 or 4 different camo colors. I think proper prep and dry time for painting is really the key as to whether it will last.

I used parkers too, highly recommend. But back to the dimples, so you know anything about them? That is very cool, i'm thinking golf ball effect?

Its taken awhile since final exams and the end of a semester has been kicking my butt but I have managed to finish a paint job on my boat. I was going for a mossy oak camo job but didnt want to spend 120 dollars for stencils so i actually made my own stencils. I gutted the boat and sanded it and applied rustoleum self etching primer. Hit it with olive green coat and used my custom stencils and so far this is what i got.. not bad for under $60 so far next is the interior/decking which im looking foward to. I have decided not to build a livewell in this boat because a 12 foot is just too small to have everything you would want but I plan on modding something bigger later this summer or in the fall... here are pictures tell me what you guys think.. i really wanted to add grass but my grass stencils turned out terrible and didnt want to ruin the paint... and dont know much about the custom dimples on the boat besides they are used for aerodynamics

Attachments

• craigslisting 054.JPG
    craigslisting 054.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • boat paint job 005.JPG
    boat paint job 005.JPG
    988.8 KB · Views: 1,339
  • boat paint job 006.JPG
    boat paint job 006.JPG
    838.3 KB · Views: 1,339
  • boat paint job 021.JPG
    boat paint job 021.JPG