Navionics worth it in Lowrance Elite 4?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bottombouncer

Reaction score
This would be another first for me. The last new unit I bought was a Garmin 160 when they were new on the market. So, it's been several years. Cabelas had a good sale on the Lowrance Elite 4 sonar/gps so I picked on up last fall. I have no experience with the mapping cards. With such a small screen, would the card benefit me? It seems to have all the lakes/reservoirs I would be fishing.

Thoughts on this?

Personally I think it would. But if you have a smartphone with the aprox same screensize, you could give that a try before buying the chip. The webapp woun't use your phones GPS, but it will give you an idea what to expect.

https://navionics.com/en/webapp

I doubt if the zoom feature on the Lowrance is as good as your smartphone, I've got the same FF/gps unit and an eyephone & navionics app, and I can get more structure/depth info from the eyephone setup than the Lowrance. The card may slow the processing speed down on the FF as well, I've read where the new Elite 7 series with cards boggs down something awful but no 1st hand experience with the 7.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344250#p344250 said:
TNtroller » Yesterday, 05:50[/url]"]I doubt if the zoom feature on the Lowrance is as good as your smartphone, I've got the same FF/gps unit and an eyephone & navionics app, and I can get more structure/depth info from the eyephone setup than the Lowrance. The card may slow the processing speed down on the FF as well, I've read where the new Elite 7 series with cards boggs down something awful but no 1st hand experience with the 7.

As long as your card has the latest update, it will show the same stuff as the app. The issues with Elite are mainly with Navionics Platinum, I have had no issues with Navionics Gold. But as a sidenote, when going fast (30+ knots) the Elite has problems with keeping up on the charts. This is due to a slower processor then in the HDS-series.