NEED OPINIONS ON BATTERY SET UP!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sureshot

Reaction score
Okay, so I figure Ill need two batteries. Heres why, and please tell me if I'm wrong. Im great at the modding part, just not the electrical...

Everything I'll have running:
Trolling Motor
Fish Finder
Radio (2 speakers)
Lighting (BluWaterLED's)
Live well pump (--not 100% sure but most likely)

Theses all will be wired to a switch panel..

Are two batteries suffient, and what should I put on each one?

Are Everstart MAXX batteries a good buy?

Will the $3 charger from Harbor freight work for what I need it to do?

Thanks
Evan

Thanks for your help.

I'd run 2 seperate batteries.. One for you TM and possibly fish finder, and one for the rest.

The batteries in question are okay if you maintain them. I had one and kept the fluids topped off and it still died on me. I wouldn't buy one again, but there are about a million others who have them and have seen no issues. So its your call I guess :lol:

The plus to the walmart batteries is they have like 1100 stores now right, So they can be exchanged in just about any big town in the country. Is this a electric only boat, I think id be more apt to install 3 batteries. and dedicate 2 for the tm, and one for the rest of the stuff. hold the 3rd for a spare, One battery for a tm is not sufficent for all day of fishing IMO..

Sureshot said:
Are Everstart MAXX batteries a good buy?

Will the $3 charger from Harbor freight work for what I need it to do?

Thanks for your help.

My Father in Law had Everstart batteries in hie boat for years with no problems at all. Then a buddy of mine his didn't last no time. The Harbor Freight charger I don't think will do what you need it to. You need a on board charger and not a trickle charger. It would be good to leave on them after you park it and know that it is going to set a while.

I run most of my stuff in my boat, fishfinder and tolling motor all from one battery, I had a livewell pump running at times also. I have a 1436 with a 55lb motor and I rarely need to take a speed more that #3 so it last for a long time for me.

What kind of radio are you installing? That would be what I think would take the most power out of the battery.

I would get a quality charger fr what ever you decide to do the $3 charger is a trickle charger for topping off your battery.I would suggest getting an on board 2 or 3 bank charger

So basically:

If your lucky, Everstart MAXX are good batteries, if you get lucky. And I need a 2 bank on board charger, and I'm best off getting 2 batteries to be safe?

What kind of chargers are decent, with out bankrupting me?

I'm not sure how big your trolling motor is, but I've run an endura 30, livewell, lights, depthfinder, gps all off the largest walmart deep cycle with no issues. I only need more than the trickle charger if I am fishing consecutive days, like all day saturday and then again all day sunday - for that I just hook up my car battery charger overnight.

The onboard charger that is suggested is certainly a top notch solution, but if you are on a budget like I was, I think you can do it all with one battery and a trickle charger. You can always add another battery later on...

Latest posts