New key switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgc1021

Reaction score
Recently installed a 89 mariner 40hp on my boat which needed a new key ignition switch. All I was left with was the wires from harness left loose so I’m not sure how the previous owner had it wired. After buying brand new ignition the motor started right up but will not shut off the engine. I know it’s something simple but can’t figure it out. The previous owner turned it on and off using his boat so I know it should work with a new switch. There is a solid black wire and a black/yellow wire that was left unconnected at the motor. I connected both wires to the M screw on key switch and connected the yellow/black to ground and nothing. Turn the key off and the engine just continues to run. I’m about to pull my hair out. Any ideas? Thanks

Recently installed a 89 mariner 40hp on my boat which needed a new key ignition switch. All I was left with was the wires from harness left loose so I’m not sure how the previous owner had it wired. After buying brand new ignition the motor started right up but will not shut off the engine. I know it’s something simple but can’t figure it out. The previous owner turned it on and off using his boat so I know it should work with a new switch. There is a solid black wire and a black/yellow wire that was left unconnected at the motor. I connected both wires to the M screw on key switch and connected the yellow/black to ground and nothing. Turn the key off and the engine just continues to run. I’m about to pull my hair out. Any ideas? Thanks
This not for your motor (70hp), but it may be close.

Connecting the black and black/yellow together should turn the motor off if the attached drawings are simular.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240903_212753_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240903_212753_Samsung Notes.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240903_213521_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240903_213521_Samsung Notes.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0