2018 MFS20E won't start...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've come to the conclusion its some strange combination of voodoo magic and sorcery that supplies the initial jolt to fire the high pressure fuel pump on these battery-less engines.

I tried the drill method last night with no luck in getting fuel to the injector rail. I'm going to tear into the vapor separator canister this weekend and see what I find. The high pressure fuel pump resides inside here and my research tells me that since this thing has sat for a couple of years it's locked up from old ethanol gas. Trying to source a replacement motor currently...

Tohatsu part number 3RS043020 for those who may need one in the future.
Sounds like you've got a clog and/or bad fuel pump.

And the EFI gets it's "electrical" power from the same place the spark plugs get theirs.....the stator.

You could try an external high pressure fuel pump from Summit racing. Holly, Edelbrock or a Chinese made to supply fuel to the rail

I've come to the conclusion its some strange combination of voodoo magic and sorcery that supplies the initial jolt to fire the high pressure fuel pump on these battery-less engines.

I tried the drill method last night with no luck in getting fuel to the injector rail. I'm going to tear into the vapor separator canister this weekend and see what I find. The high pressure fuel pump resides inside here and my research tells me that since this thing has sat for a couple of years it's locked up from old ethanol gas. Trying to source a replacement motor currently...

Tohatsu part number 3RS043020 for those who may need one in the future.
Well.. IMHO your not quite at the nothing to loose point where you TEAR INTO the assembly... if you think it's locked up.. I would try to pour/force some "cleaner-solvent" into the assembly and let it sit a bit.. something like SEA FOAM.. won't hurt anything and if it works .. yer a hero..
I have not had great luck tearing into sealed assy's... seals, gaskets ECT..
I can kinda visualize the pump having some check valves.. and a ? shaft? or something to get up to the high pressure...
good luck

Well.. IMHO your not quite at the nothing to loose point where you TEAR INTO the assembly... if you think it's locked up.. I would try to pour/force some "cleaner-solvent" into the assembly and let it sit a bit.. something like SEA FOAM.. won't hurt anything and if it works .. yer a hero..
I have not had great luck tearing into sealed assy's... seals, gaskets ECT..
I can kinda visualize the pump having some check valves.. and a ? shaft? or something to get up to the high pressure...
good luck
Smart idea. I'll see if I can take it off then pour some seafoam into it and let it sit overnight.

I have been looking for a motor on FB Market Place to put on my 16' Deep V. Unfortunately just about all the motors are junk. Everyone likes to throw in the phrase, it ran good the last time out or has good spark and compression. I have had several balk once I state that I would like to see the motor run on the engine stand as a minimum and would prefer to take it to the lake if possible. Kind of gets aggravating dealing with people that would rather compromise their intgrity than to lose a buck. Hope you get it figured out.

This weekend I tried the B-12 soaking method. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in getting any fuel to pass thru the pump. Next I dug into the High pressure fuel pump assembly and found a mess. Thick sticky gunk stuck to everything. This unit needs a new pump and filter along with a THOUROUGH cleaning...

Does anyone know if there is a better aftermarket fuel pump I should look for or if another OEM Tohatsu pump and sock is the ticket.

Attachments

• 062424-04.jpg
    062424-04.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 062424-06.jpg
    062424-06.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 062424-08.jpg
    062424-08.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 062424-05.jpg
    062424-05.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
  • 062424-02.jpg
    062424-02.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 062424-03.jpg
    062424-03.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
Now sure about the Tohatsu one but 4 years ago my buddy bought a Optimax 200 that had sat for about 6 years and had the exact same issue. I replace his HP pump with one from Amazon for about 1/5th the cost of the Mercury one and it's still running perfectly.

Now sure about the Tohatsu one but 4 years ago my buddy bought a Optimax 200 that had sat for about 6 years and had the exact same issue. I replace his HP pump with one from Amazon for about 1/5th the cost of the Mercury one and it's still running perfectly.
I have purchased one from eBay... Its coming from chi-na so it may take a week or so to arrive. I will update this thread when it arrives and I give it a try. It was about 1/3 the price of Tohatsu and 1/4 the price of the Mercury OEM parts.

I have purchased one from eBay... Its coming from chi-na so it may take a week or so to arrive. I will update this thread when it arrives and I give it a try. It was about 1/3 the price of Tohatsu and 1/4 the price of the Mercury OEM parts.
I like to buy from a seller in the USA that way if my China made part has an issue it's easier to get it replaced. Even if it cost a little more.

I like to buy from a seller in the USA that way if my China made part has an issue it's easier to get it replaced. Even if it cost a little more.
As do I! Like you, even if the cost is a little more I go USA made. In this case there all made overseas and 4x is a stretch just because there in inventory stateside. so I was willing to give it a shot.. :p

Latest posts