New PB WI smallies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkynathan

Reaction score
Things have REALLY slowed down here in the past week. I was gone on active duty for two weeks and came back to some pretty cold temps. Catching for numbers seems to be a lost cause, but I guess I'm finding some size, even if I'm down to a fish or two every 3 hours.

Both of these caught on the Chippewa River system in Wisconsin. The first I caught after having a hell of a time trying to fish walleyes. The wind was too strong on Wissota to control my boat so I went to a shore to get out of the wind. The first cast brought in this fatty at just over 17".
0930091820 (Large).jpg
I went farther up the Chippewa on Old Abe Lake on Thursday. I rigged up my dead stick with a pink jig and a gulp minnow. I had just gotten off the phone with my wife, casted out a tube, and thought, "this is going to be the first night I get skunked in WI." When I realized what was going on, my dead stick was bent in half and this 18" beauty was on the other end. I ended up reeling in my tube with the fish rod in the other hand, trying to keep tension on the line.
IMG_1301 (Large).jpg
It's my first season targeting (mostly) smallies and I haven't learned enough to be completely productive all the time, but sizes are increasing. Hopefully now that fall is here and the feed bags should be on I can keep catching more, larger fish. That is, if I can stand the cold....supposed to be snow here within a week!

Nice work, those are both really nice smallies. They look super thick and healthy, you really cannot complain about catching a fish on a lure that you just had in a rod holder, thats pretty impressive really. Jigs are very effective in the cold, fish around brush and you will definately hook into some toads.