New to me 06 Mercury 9.9 should water be coming out there?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notamechanic

Reaction score
Hey guys i went out to look at a 06 Merc 9.9 with low hours today. The motor had been sitting in storage for a year but started up pretty easy. Ran fine at higher rpms but it wouldnt idle very well so I offered the guy $200 less than what he wanted and took it home. Took the carb off and cleaned it and she seems to be idling pretty good.

When I went to look at the motor the guy had it in a barrel so I didnt notice that there seems to be water coming out of three locations other than the pee hole. Is this normal? or is the lower unit busted? Water coming out of the pee hole was pretty hot as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 369
Have you checked the thermostat to make sure it's opening? You might want to drop the lower unit and make sure everything looks ok with the water pump. Make sure it's not leaking around where the water tube connects to the pump or the motor.

I'm not really sure how to check the thermostat I thought that if water was coming out of the telltale then the thermostat was working? Gonna drop the lower unit today and take a look. Probably needs a new impeller anyway.

It is normal to get water coming from unusual places when hooked up with the muffs and garden hose. You are putting a lot more pressure through the system than the water pump produces when in a lake.

Well i emptied out the gear case oil and it does look a bit milky. Im in the process of dropping the lower unit (cant figure out to disconnect the shift linkage) and there is water sitting on top of the water pump. I attached a picture of the oil running out.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 316
Hard to tell for certain from that picture but that oil looks about right. Merc Quicksilver gear lube has a blueish greenish tint to it and that is what I can see here. Never hurts to put fresh lube in though so no loss either way.

As far as the water coming out that is totally as it should be. I have video on Facebook of my new 20 hp running for the very first time in the drive on the hose and it is the same. Wish I had a way of posting it here to show you.

If you have a FB acct try this. You may be able to watch it now. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=395641610450269&set=vb.100000132995307&type=3&theater

Watched the video and saw the water coming out the same places as on my motor. I guess I was worried for no reason, thanks again dude.

Latest posts