New to me, 1989 Bass Tracker Tournament TX17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phisherman

Reaction score
Hello, new to this sight. I just pick up this boat, its my first "real" boat. As I explained, its a 1989 Bass Tracker Tournament TX17 with an Evinrude 50hp outboard. The boat is pretty clean, it came with two Humminbird fish finders. Its has a Humminbird 717 and a Matrix 12. I realy do not know the difference. The trolling motor is a foot operated Minnkota Edge 70lb thrust. Some work needs to be done. Eventhough it came with "paperwork" from some shops that "went through" the whole thing. I have found the bilge pump does not work, stereo does not work, navigation lights do not work. The spedo can't work cause there is not spedo tube on transom and no cable to speedometer. The outboard is good, fires right up and looks very clean. The wood deck is a little soft, carpet should be replaced. I dunno how difficult this is tho. Any comments will be aprecciated, I like hearing the truth. More pics coming soon.

Attachments

• 2012-10-17_16-27-12_590.jpg
    2012-10-17_16-27-12_590.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,035
Trying to find pics that are 2MB or less...

Attachments

• 2012-10-17_16-27-17_791.jpg
    2012-10-17_16-27-17_791.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,907
Hey welcome to your new addiction lol. Looks like a good platform. What all are you planing to do with it? If the deck is soft be sure when you tear into it to check the foam underneath as well as there is a good chance that it may be waterlogged

Thanks. It is a relief to hear that the outboard is a reliable motor. I had no idea, just fired it up today using the flush ears and it sounded nice. Clean too.

I dunno what I want to do with it... what can I do? I suppose a rebuild is not out of the question, however I know nothing about boats. I am open for suggestions.

Loggerhead Mike said:
Fix the bilge and go enjoy it

First is to make sure it runs and floats

X2

If you can accomplish those two things, you're already farther along that I am, and I've been working on my Tracker since June of '10....

Matt

The fuel capacity is only 6 gal. I'd like to drop in a larger tank. Right now it has three batteries, I dunno why but it looks like a mess. The fuse panel is the same. I'll post a few pics.

Attachments

• 2012-10-23_08-49-04_125.jpg
    2012-10-23_08-49-04_125.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 2,834
How long would this get me on the water?

Attachments

• 2012-10-23_08-47-30_515.jpg
    2012-10-23_08-47-30_515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,834
For a day trip of bass fishing I usually burn 2-3 gallons at the most. Mine has two 5gal tanks

Fuel economy greatly improves if I run acouple hundred rpm below wot. I get between 28-30mph loaded with 2 people, 32 by myself

My fuse panel gave me a lot of trouble and a few warning tickets from the wardens for flickering lights. A wire brush for cleaning .22 barrels on a drill works good to clean the fuse contacts

I think I've read(maybe I dreampt it)if you take 10% of your rated hp,thats about how many gph you will burn at WOT.
So around 5 gph at WOT?
Boat looks good,get ahold of a multi meter and maybe fix acouple of the minor electrical problems and enjoy.
When things arise,fix or mod them then.

.22 cal brush works well on the fuse panel? I have plenty of them so that's not a prob. Let me get a pic of the panel.

Check a page over for mine, it's the same set up and feel free to holler at me with any questions on any of mine. I took nearly everything out so I may be able to help on some of the structural layout and such.

Start at your battery check it's voltage;
then check to see if there is a main circuit breaker(fuse),before your fuse panel,is there power past that(reason I ask is because your fuses don't seem blown in the picture)
check the neg wire to the fuse panel,
if there power that far,it's as simple as checking each fuse(maybe there corrided abit),
if there good voltage past the fuse panel,go to each devise to check for voltage
good voltage there,most likely a bad devise

Thanks for explaining trouble shooting with multimeter. I will have to get after that soon.

Question, I have been debating with a few guys on top end speed. I am guessing 35?? A guy I know says it won't go over 25... I dunno.

Latest posts