NEWB with a project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
catsmith said:
Looking good on the trailer. I usually just go with the gloss rattle cans instead of trying to do the clear coat. I will be watching to see how it turns out.

OK I'll bite........you sank your buddies tin? Prey tell?

He did a few mods to his tin and we were out catfishing. Went well for about 4 hours. Ran to the store to get some bait and few cans of snuff. Came back and went across the cove and got hit with some nice waves. two came over the bow and thats all she wrote. Ended with me swimming the half submerged tin to the bank. Luckily we both survived but LAWD OH MIGHTY was it ridiculous. Sheriff said wind conditions and being overloaded. I guess its good we hadnt pulled any monster cats out......NEEDLESS TO SAY, be conscious of the weight capacity!!!!

been busy and kinda neglected my tin for a little bit...

....i started to put the trailer back together and started looking at my tires. The back of the tires had caked on grease and dirt. MMMM yummy. Started inspecting the hub a little more and saw this nasty stuff

IMG_4712.JPG

so in hopes of saving myself future problems, decided to do some PM. Took the buddies off and pulled off the hubs. Cleaned up everything and this is what i found
busted back seal leaking gunk all over the place
IMG_4722.JPG
rusty bearings
IMG_4726.JPG
beginning of rust on the spindel
IMG_4720.JPG

Now here is what is starting to worry me. The races seem fine but the space between both races is totally rusted out. Not even pretty!!!! Im thinking about replacing everything and hoping for the best.
IMG_4724.JPG
IMG_4721.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG

Despite all that sadness here is a preview of the trailer coming back together!!!!!!

IMG_4727.JPG

I apologize for the delay but I've been extremely busy AND LAZY lately. Here are some updated pics.....

started by rebuilding my freshly painted trailer

IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg

Also totally replaced the bearings and hub assembly. Actually was cheaper at Northern Tool to get a complete system, ready to install!!!
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg

added front supports and fenders
IMG_4735.jpg
IMG_4736.jpg
IMG_4738.jpg

accidentally put my fenders on the wrong side so they tilted up....had to correct them
IMG_4739.jpg
IMG_4740.jpg

added rear supports

IMG_4745.jpg
IMG_4746.jpg

Once everything was put back together, I had to redo my bunk boards. Can you tell?
IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

I didnt want to spend too much money, so I kept it simple. Went to local hardware store and bought indoor/outdoor carpet for $9 and some treated 2x4's. I even got them to cut em to length for me. Less work, LESS TOOlS, plus they offered. I also decided not to glue my carpet down. Read a lot of different articles for and against. I decided to go against just because of time. I did use stainless steel staples to help it from killing the wood too quickly!
IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4755.jpg
IMG_4754.jpg
IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_4757.jpg
IMG_4753.jpg
IMG_4758.jpg

I also didnt like how my wiring system was set up, so decided to redo it. Wasnt hard at all.....the most difficult part was taking off the paint so it could get a good ground.
IMG_4747.jpg

finished lights, bunk boards, and assembly
IMG_4760.jpg

Finished the trailer in july, but the boat was a different story. I couldnt really decide what direction to go with it. I just want to use it as a fishing and duck hunting barge. I also couldnt add too many bells and whistles, cuz Im too fat and dont want to sink it. I wish it was a welded tin vs riveted so it could handle more weight.

I initially started off by doing a light sanding to see what the original color would do. Used some wet 400 grit sand paper and got started on it.IMG_4761.jpg
IMG_4764.jpg

then i got a lil carried away with the sanding.....OOPS!!
IMG_4762.jpg
IMG_4766.jpg

....after my sanding issue and not liking the paint, I decided to sand it all the way down
IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4769.jpg
IMG_4770.jpg
IMG_4771.jpg
IMG_4772.jpg
IMG_4773.jpg

Followed by some Rustoleum self etching primer
IMG_4775.jpg
IMG_4776.jpg
IMG_4778.jpg
IMG_4779.jpg

I didnt realize how dark the primer would be.....so I had to stick to dark colors for my base coat. Knowing that I wanted to use my boat for duck hunting I chose a nice mix of colors for my Camo Pattern. I used a lot of patterns found online. I guess you can say they were free. If you do a search for camo patterns and stay under the google image search you can print them. The first pattern i used was a little small and you can tell. So I finally just enlarged all the patterns. I also transfered the image to manilla file folders so that they could hold up to being wet. At first I was too methodical in my coloring and it showed. I just then started to randomize the colors and it began to look a lot better in my eyes. Hope you guys like it!!!!

IMG_4804.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg
IMG_4782.jpg
IMG_4783.jpg
IMG_4784.jpg
IMG_4790.jpg
IMG_4791.jpg
IMG_4792.jpg
IMG_4793.jpg
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4798.jpg

After alll that work two weekends ago. I figured Id do some work this weekend, but we had rain until Sunday. Then I had to go the Rangers Double Header and watch Football so I negleted my tin for a weekend. This morning I get a couple of guys to come over to flip my tin onto my trailer and **** MY DOG. Guess he got bored and started playing. Nonetheless, I have to redo the bunk boards........ANYONE WANT A SPECIAL ED DOG?!?!?!?

IMG_4801.jpg
IMG_4803.jpg
IMG_4800.jpg

and the culprit still licking carpet off his whiskers
IMG_4802.jpg

After all that work, Im about half way through my project. I still have to turn it over and work on the inside. I did find a 28hp motor for it. I still havent decided what to do with the inside. I am very weight conscious. I would love to load it up with framing and decking but it has an 800lbs weight capacity. My fat butt alone is 350. I am wanting to add that material they used on the tins at Bass Pro Shops (kinda like bedliner material). I dont like the color but love that it deadens the sound. My only draw back is knowing how much weight it adds. Ive only seen it in black or dark grey. If they make it in a light grey or even green it would be perfect. I purposefully left the lip of the boat with no paint just for it. Worse case, I can add it around the lip and just keep the inside the regular color of the boat.

I also cant decide on how I want to build my duck blind on it. Once I think about it s'more, I can decide on paint and accessories.......Until then yall have fun with your tins!!

Very nice job so far. I did notice that you said that you used pt for your bunk boards......I had some real serious pitting on my boat right where she rested on the bunks, which were covered in carpet. When I started my mod I could not figure out why the pitting was only where the boat sat on the bunks. Well low and behold the bunks are PT 2x4's in very good shape for their age, but seemed to leach just enough through the carpet to make my aluminum pit. I will for sure change these to regular wood when the trailer gets restored. I usually end up changing my hubs and springs every three years or so. The 2x4;s are cheap and will change them too every time I rebuild my trailer. Oh yea tell your dog that he cant go fishing with ya if he keeps eating your trailer......bad dog bad dog.........but you still got to love him. :lol:

bigwave said:
Very nice job so far. I did notice that you said that you used pt for your bunk boards......I had some real serious pitting on my boat right where she rested on the bunks, which were covered in carpet. When I started my mod I could not figure out why the pitting was only where the boat sat on the bunks. Well low and behold the bunks are PT 2x4's in very good shape for their age, but seemed to leach just enough through the carpet to make my aluminum pit. I will for sure change these to regular wood when the trailer gets restored. I usually end up changing my hubs and springs every three years or so. The 2x4;s are cheap and will change them too every time I rebuild my trailer. Oh yea tell your dog that he cant go fishing with ya if he keeps eating your trailer......bad dog bad dog.........but you still got to love him. :lol:

OH WOW......how bad is the pitting.

It was bad enough that I used Marine Tex epoxy to fill the pitting.....none were thru the hull but right where the boat rested on the bunks towards the stern had many small pinholes......I am sure that if I would not correct the problem I will have holes in the future.

bigwave said:
It was bad enough that I used Marine Tex epoxy to fill the pitting.....none were thru the hull but right where the boat rested on the bunks towards the stern had many small pinholes......I am sure that if I would not correct the problem I will have holes in the future.

Wow. Good to know. Thanks

Even though the dog ate your carpet that is one pretty dog man, you dunk hunt with her or him?

its a him....and nah he aint that smart. hes a Grand Pyrenees mix. didnt like anything to do with fetching, water, or hunting. Lately he's been tracking squirrels fairly well...so there might be hope for him yet!

My best dog was a German Shepard/Rottweiler mix, not once did she poop in the yard and she wouldn't let other dogs do it either. My friends would bring their dogs over and after a week every single one of them would go to the woods. Luckily I got two puppies old enough in time to train right before she passed but no matter what in my 11 acres if its walkable by a human it's clean and your boots are safe!

Latest posts