newbie 82 valco, some info and assistance?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkonrai

Reaction score
new member here that has a couple of questions. bought this tinny that is pretty thrashed. ive got dents and stress cracks. i bought the boat, trailer, 74 johnson 15 hp for 400.00.

transom replacement, i have narrowed it down to 3/4 exterior ply. is it ok to run the new transom almost full span/width/length? or do i just follow the old layout. it seems odd that the original transom was in 5 pieces. wouldnt two full layers be stronger? i will be using spar varnish to protect the new wood.

i also will be having a new dog leg made too. i have some 1/4" aluminum plate that will be used.

seats will be 3/8 ply, spar varnish, covered in carpet. or i might just paint it with some bullseye primer.

leaking rivets, stress cracks. plan to drill the stress cracks and use some marine putty epoxy with a aluminum patch. now is it better to coat the rivets with gluvit? or aluminized gutter sealer? i plan on using etching primer then some rustoleum oil based marine paint to paint the inside.

here are some picts.
thanks
dino

P1040524.jpg

P1040523.jpg

P1040528.jpg

P1040531.jpg

P1040532.jpg

P1040534.jpg

First off congrats on the new boat, valcos are good tins from what I know. And second thing is that 15hp johnson is not a 1974. It is a 1983 and it is a great little engine. If in good working order is worth the 400 alone. Have you run the motor yet? Boat looks a little rough but with some work that will be a very nice little setup at a great price.

the motor didnt run at all when i first brought the tinny home. rebuilt the carb, reset the points and now it runs. there seems to be a low idle problem that i will look into further. i just replaced the impeller last night and will rebuild the fuel pump to see if this helps the low idle problem.
the trailer is in pretty good condition. the boat is a little beat up, but i have been wanting a wide body for a few years and the price was right!
dino

OMC stopped using points ignition in 1976 on the 15hp I believe so something is not right. If that is not the original engine cover then it could be a different year motor. What is your serial/model number?

Johny25 said:
First off congrats on the new boat, valcos are good tins from what I know. And second thing is that 15hp johnson is not a 1974. It is a 1983 and it is a great little engine. If in good working order is worth the 400 alone. Have you run the motor yet? Boat looks a little rough but with some work that will be a very nice little setup at a great price.

x2 ! That is a good looking boat for a great deal.

Johny25 said:

no tag on the outside (it always falls off!). serial number on the motor E39550722 model 10r74s. strange thing is the carb is a 15hp. when i took off the carb the throat is almost full bore vs a chocked throat found on the 9.9. idk if the previous owner swapped power heads? or was it a factory original? i can see some green paint below so its unsure of someone painted it. i had a johnson 6 hp that i got from the original owner, and it too was white with some green below. omc kinda just gave these motors a quick spray?

just finished rebuilding the fuel pump and cant wait to give it a whirl. darn kid has hockey tonight or i would be still working on the tinny.

dino

the block tag surely does read as a 74' but I know that the rest of the motor is an 83' My guess is a previous owner seized the original powerhead and replaced it with a 74' 9.9 powerhead and stuck the 1983 15hp carb on it. So you have a franken motor. The 1974 colors and decals look nothing like the motor you have.

Here is a 1974 9.9 and 15hp
https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2726669850101354590liQHAn

And here is the 1983
https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2550672210101354590YcUdVv

Johny25 said:
the block tag surely does read as a 74' but I know that the rest of the motor is an 83' My guess is a previous owner seized the original powerhead and replaced it with a 74' 9.9 powerhead and stuck the 1983 15hp carb on it. So you have a franken motor. The 1974 colors and decals look nothing like the motor you have.

Here is a 1974 9.9 and 15hp
https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2726669850101354590liQHAn

And here is the 1983
https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2550672210101354590YcUdVv

wow so it is a franken motor. strange how they would have used the old points vs the electric ignition of the 83. if it were me, i think i would have gone with the 74 ph, and used the 83 flywheel and ignition. oh well.

dino

Take the cover off and snap several pics and post them so we can get a better idea of what we got here :)