Newbie showing a find

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyman

Reaction score
Thanks for having me in this forum! Just wanted to send a pic and ask a question about my find. I have found a 1968 18' Starchief. The most major stuff I need to do to it: replace flooring, repair transom, give CPR to a 2 cycle 115 Mercury that has been sitting for 15 yrs.
My question, do you feel that the motor on it is too much muscle for the transom, or has anyone ever learned how to beef up the transom to handle that much juice?
Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_20240716_160508132.jpg
    IMG_20240716_160508132.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 9
I had one with a 135hp on it and it was fine. You will find that the older 115 is the same actual output as a newer 90hp made after 1984. (Net vs Total HP ratings changed).
I did upgrade mine for a bit from the 135 to a late 90's 115 and there was no change in power or weight, other than I gained power tilt and trim.

It was one of my favorite boats I've ever owned over the years but as I got more into fishing I wanted more gunwale area to fish from so I found a similar SS model and later my Mirrocraft 16.

The biggest drawback to those hulls was the massive splash tray but I suppose that had a lot to do with its ability to handle the larger motors too. The transom wood is easy, I just laminted up two sheets of 3/4" ACX plywood with epoxy and did the whole floor over with 1/2" plywood. My floor was rotten but the foam was all good so I left it alone. I wish I still had it but I sold it back then because of a lack of space to keep both that and the two other boats I had back then.
They're super light and will run fine with a 70hp but I wouldn't go much smaller. I have seen guys get away with 50hp motors on them but they barely get on plane with the 50hp.

The biggest drawback to the cabin is that it catches a lot of wind making it hard to anchor up on breezy days to fish.