Newbie with a Aluminum V Hull looking for advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cudaboy

Reaction score
hey guys,

im new to the site and new to modding a boat.

Im planning on getting an aluminum V hull from my neighbor so i can fish the mangroves and bay in the FL Keys but im just not sure if it can hold the weight. hes selling me the boat for 150.00 but im gonna offer him 100.00. im not sure what make it is, i have to and look at it again today.

Obviously i want to put a deck on it which is why i came across this site which has some great builds/mods. Im a big guy at 280 and adding another person on the boat will prob be at around 500lbs. my fear is that with the motor, fuel tank, and decks added it will sink. i def want to take on this project as it will be my first but i dont want it to be in vain if im not going to be able to enjoy it. any information is greatly appreciated. looking foward to a good discussion.

i will go today and take some pictures of the boat and post them so you can see them.

cudaboy

Welcome to TinBoats!! Lots of great folks here. What size boat are you considering buying? You might want to read this thread before planning your build. It's a good read.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9074

What ever boat you end up getting be sure it has a title.

the boat is a 14' V hull Aluminum.
if it doesnt have a title would it be to much of a mission to get one or its not possible to get one?

cudaboy

Titles are a state issue and most (free) states don't title boats. Just get a written bill of sale, and look into your states specific laws for registering and using it, but it should not be a huge deal. Depending of course on what state you're in.

Welcome cudaboy! A 14' V-hull should handle between 500-700 lbs. of weight. Of course it depends on the make and model, but expect around 500 lbs. of people, or 700 lbs total with motor and gear. Check the Coast Guard plate (usually mounted inside the boat near the transom) for your specific limitations. Good luck! Post us some pics if you decide to pull the trigger.

once you project is complete if it does not have a title it is not to difficult to get a home built title. just have to take it to the title office and they will give you a vin and title for it.

14ft was big enough for me and my buddy and we are 500 lbs easy. Of course my boat was a 19 inch deep transom, that will make a difference. Measure the width at the transom and how high the transom is, If made for a long shaft, you will be much better off.
Tim