Nice day.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
I went to a lake that I fished earlier this year,when the water was up.The drained it way down,probably around 15-20 feet.:drawn down 001.jpg
Still thought I'd have a good day,there was hardly any wind and it was around 16 degrees.Doesn't this look fishy:drawn down 002.jpg
The water is normally way up by the trees.
I never caught a fish there,couldn't beleive it.I did manage to catch around 25 fish today,still know monsters but quite a few 1.5lbers.I caught most on a june bug colored senko but a few on a skitter pop as well.I used 1 senko all day,thanks to the oring and in the belief that it would work(thx Jim).Heres a couple fish pictures:drawn down 003.jpgdrawn down 006.jpg
It was a pretty crazy day as far as wild life.I got within shotgun range of about 30 geese,they didn't even fly away:drawn down 004.jpg
This is a spot where earlier this season I zoomed through with my boat:drawn down 005.jpg
Again the water is normally to the trees,those rocks must not be very far below the surface when it's high.
The picture might not show it but it looked real scary,bet I'll troll through next time.Seen acouple hawks and something I've never seen before,a mink.Well I've seen a mink before but this one was swimming went under and came up with a fish...it had to be around a foot long.I was trying to get a picture of him but he got into those rocks and I couldn't get him to stay still.Still can't get over all them rocks.

Good catches.Those rocks look scary also.From the pics they don't look like they'd be totally under the water.Any clue why the water level was dropped?

Zum - send me a PM with your address and i will send you out a few bags of the soft plastics I make for smallies - they love em!

The lake gets lowered every year(don't know why),theres a small dam at the other end.I didn't take a run to the dam because of the water levels,I kinda wimped out.All those rocks you see are normally underwater,I always knew about the humps of rocks but not the solitary ones.There probably only a couple feet(if that) under the water,thats why I have to watch out next time the waters high.

"Zum - send me a PM with your address and i will send you out a few bags of the soft plastics I make for smallies - they love em!"
What an offer... thanks Capt.

shamoo said:
When water is up do those rocks have any kinda danger buoy around them?
Nope...probably be so covered with buoy's you couldn't get through.:)
Hardly any of our inland lakes have the proper buoy markings.It's always a adventure,especially on new lakes.Atleast I have an extra prop now:)

Zum said:
The lake gets lowered every year(don't know why),theres a small dam at the other end.I didn't take a run to the dam because of the water levels,I kinda wimped out.All those rocks you see are normally underwater,I always knew about the humps of rocks but not the solitary ones.There probably only a couple feet(if that) under the water,thats why I have to watch out next time the waters high.

"Zum - send me a PM with your address and i will send you out a few bags of the soft plastics I make for smallies - they love em!"
What an offer... thanks Capt.

The lakes around here get lowered for a few reasons,request lowering for dock work,dam work,and sometimes the level drops when the local water tanks are filled at the same time.

Captain Ahab said:
Zum - send me a PM with your address and i will send you out a few bags of the soft plastics I make for smallies - they love em!

:beer:

Zum, will you remember those "mounds" when the water rises again? Like GPS spots? Those look like they would cling fish to them when the water is high.

That happens to this conservation area about 15 minutes away from me. They lower the water around this time each year and fill it back in springtime. The lake has a dam that feeds a river. The river holds big Rainbow and Brown trout!

Captain Ahab said:
sorry not trying to jack your thread but i didnt know you made plastic how long have you been making them

Zum, will you remember those "mounds" when the water rises again? Like GPS spots? Those look like they would cling fish to them when the water is high.[/quote]

I knew of the rock mounds(2 of them) before,there around an acre each.It's in a narrow spot of the lake,I've caught some nice fish there, after spawn.
A GPS is good for finding mounds like that but as far as those individual rocks,theres just to many.Plus,I think that handheld GPS's are only good for around approx.30 feet(accuracy)...am I wrong in saying that?If I was to plot a course with a GPS and follow it when the water was higher,would I be safe?Is there a chance that the route might vary a bit the next time I use the GPS?
Why the lower this lake,is beyond me.I can't see a reason for doing it but that's not to say there isn't one.I drove to the dam yesterday and there not letting anymore water out.Talked to a local and he said they stopped taking water out a week ago.I guess that the water may have been even lower.That first picture of the stream,is the only river that flows into this system as far as I know.Still can't beleive I didn't catch a fish right there.