Norris Lake, Tn Tinboat Bass Tournament/Club

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G3_Guy said:
Most tournaments require the participants to have liability insurance on their vessel for two reasons...

1.) It protects the boat owner - by ensuring that if there is an accident, the angler who causes it is covered and pays out for any damages under their own policy.

2.) It protects the individuals or organization holding the tournament - by ensuring that the plaintiff can go after the boat owners policy first and foremost.

The liability waiver you are referring too typically only waives liability towards the individuals and/or organization putting the tournament on. If you want to include everyone participating in the event under one waiver, you will need to make sure it is worded properly.

Also, keep in mind that while everyone who signs the waiver may be taking on responsibility for their own losses or liability issues should an accident occur with another boater involved in the tournament, that waiver does not protect you the boater or those putting the tournament on from anyone who is not participating (i.e. Land Owners, Other Boaters on the water not participating in said tournament, etc).

I'm not trying to scare you... I just want you to have as much info as possible up front.

So I basically would be safer to just run this as a Wildcat rather than a "Club", correct?

I don't wanna risk getting into any legal matters with anyone.

Bubba said:
G3_Guy said:
Most tournaments require the participants to have liability insurance on their vessel for two reasons...

1.) It protects the boat owner - by ensuring that if there is an accident, the angler who causes it is covered and pays out for any damages under their own policy.

2.) It protects the individuals or organization holding the tournament - by ensuring that the plaintiff can go after the boat owners policy first and foremost.

The liability waiver you are referring too typically only waives liability towards the individuals and/or organization putting the tournament on. If you want to include everyone participating in the event under one waiver, you will need to make sure it is worded properly.

Also, keep in mind that while everyone who signs the waiver may be taking on responsibility for their own losses or liability issues should an accident occur with another boater involved in the tournament, that waiver does not protect you the boater or those putting the tournament on from anyone who is not participating (i.e. Land Owners, Other Boaters on the water not participating in said tournament, etc).

I'm not trying to scare you... I just want you to have as much info as possible up front.

So I basically would be safer to just run this as a Wildcat rather than a "Club", correct?

I don't wanna risk getting into any legal matters with anyone.

I've sold & services property & casualty insurance policies for 11 years, so I know a little bit about that side of it. I'm by no means a tournament authority, I'm just given you info based on my past experiences in fishing them and helping put them on. I'm sure there are probably a lot of folks on here with more knowledge about some of these items than I... so please feel free to jump in.

My two cents however is... If you want to in-force the Liability Ins. issue you could go with a club... if you don't want to do that, I would suggest a wildcat. You might start it out as a wildcat or rodeo and see how it goes. If there is a lot of interest or interest increases after your first 2-3 tournaments, then you could look to make it a club and in-force the Insurance issue if the majority of those who were participating were in agreement.

G3_Guy said:
You might start it out as a wildcat or rodeo and see how it goes. If there is a lot of interest or interest increases after your first 2-3 tournaments, then you could look to make it a club and in-force the Insurance issue if the majority of those who were participating were in agreement.

I'm thinking this is the way I'd like to go, to begin with anyway. See what kind of interest we get first. Then go from there.

I was told that waivers aren't worth the paper there writing on in court?
By having a waiver,your almost accepting responiblity?
Something like that,I got to confused when a friend(lawyer)started going on about it.
It all just stinks,if I got hurt or lost my boat in a tournament,why would I sue the organizers?Unless they ram me or harm me personally,why?
This sueing stuff is just going nuts,people are crazy.
Although if I fiah tournaments,I still do sign a waiver///

What are hp limits ?? and boat size? live well requirements? Just run it as a good old boys fishing day to start and see how it goes.

caveman said:
What are hp limits ?? and boat size? live well requirements? Just run it as a good old boys fishing day to start and see how it goes.

Still kinda throwing this around. At the moment, I've been pretty busy(and broke) trying to get myself ready for a trip I got coming up in August, but after that i'm hoping to maybe get something figured out on this.

Latest posts