Not another wiring question!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
Okay, next on my list is installin my nav lights. I have the red and green light for the bow (one of those removable units that plugs in) and the white stern light, which also plugs in. So essentially, I have two plugs, one on the bow and one on the stern, which I need to wire to my switch panel.

The question is, can I have both bow and stern lights on one switch? if so, how do I wire them?

Or, do I have to have each light wired to it's own switch? I do have two switches available, but I want to leave one open in case I want to add something later.

You can run them on the same switch.

What I did on mine was connect the front light to the wire that I ran to the back into my switch, then I connected the back light into a short piece of wire and then connected that wire into the same wire that I ran from the front.

Does that make sense?

I have both of mine on the same switch. Getcha a double pole, double throw rocker switch with center off. You can wire it up where one side runs both bow & stern and the other side runs just the stern for an anchor light.

Wire that switch up like this.12volt were it says positive.
DPDT1.jpg

Also a switch with a diode across the poles,the diode has to be put on right so both lights are on when running and only the anchor on when ...anchored.
Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

You can also use 2 switches if you like.

Are your switches center off?
If so the diode one is would probably be the easiest.
If you could solder or screw the diode in place on the back of the switch.
Theres a line or ring around the actual diode that shows you where the straight line goes on the diagram.12volts goes threw one way to allow both lights to go on(running)and when switched the other way the doide stops the 12 volts from turning both lights on(anchor light).The arrow on the diagram shows the direction 12 volts goes threw ,the line stops it.

Zum said:
Are your switches center off?
If so the diode one is would probably be the easiest.
If you could solder or screw the diode in place on the back of the switch.
Theres a line or ring around the actual diode that shows you where the straight line goes on the diagram.12volts goes threw one way to allow both lights to go on(running)and when switched the other way the doide stops the 12 volts from turning both lights on(anchor light).The arrow on the diagram shows the direction 12 volts goes threw ,the line stops it.

I just have a 2-way switch.

With an on /off you could do 2 switches(1 running,1 anchor) or...
hook both lights to one switch would be alright for running,take off your bow light when anchored.
It won't light up if it isn't there:)

Use a pull pull switch and wire it like this, mine is for a center console with red on one side and green on the other, but on a single light on the bow instalation it will only have 2 wires.

Attachments

• navaigation switch rev.1.jpg
    navaigation switch rev.1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 735

Latest posts