Oil spitting out from pee hole.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Johnson 5.5 CD-18, I believe it's a 1961. I tried 50:1 fuel mixture and I have oil spitting out of the pee hole and smokes a lot. I am using a trash can with water in it for testing and tried tuning the carburetor and can't get it to run right. I believe the mix is supposed to be 24:1, but wouldn't that make it worse or no? Also the water is spitting out and not a stream.

I have a Johnson 5.5 CD-18, I believe it's a 1961. I tried 50:1 fuel mixture and I have oil spitting out of the pee hole and smokes a lot. I am using a trash can with water in it for testing and tried tuning the carburetor and can't get it to run right. I believe the mix is supposed to be 24:1, but wouldn't that make it worse or no? Also the water is spitting out and not a stream.

Attachments

• 20240611_163323.jpg
    20240611_163323.jpg
    68.7 KB
  • 20240611_164720.jpg
    20240611_164720.jpg
    61.7 KB
If using in a trash can, you are recycling the water that now has lots of un-burned oil in it which comes out the exhaust. It will get progressively worse the more you use it.
If you must use the can make sure the exhaust from motor is not returning to the can and also put oyur supply hose in the can to replace the water the exhaust is taking out.

All signs of a rich running engine.
Once dialed in there is very little smoke even from a 24:1 mix. That is one engine you do not want to run on a lean mix at all. 3-ring piston engines have a ton of parasitic drag and you do it no favors by lessening the oil film they ride on.
As was said above a small volume of water going back through the cooling system time after time will build up on the walls of the inner exhaust. This will come out for 2-3 days after running it. You still have work to do!
A well tuned 5 1/2hp is one of the nicest and smoothest running 2 stroke engines ever built when tuned properly. They idle as smooth as watches and will do it all day long with very little smoke at all.

Latest posts