Old Alumacraft Shallow V, New Design

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grizzly said:
i had the same issue, the carpet will just squish down and not cause a problem. i had rivets on the bench seats that stopped it from seating down, so i dabbed some crayon on top of the rivets and then carefully pressed the plywood on top, this gave me exact locations to drill a shallow relief hole with a forstner bit on the bottom of deck.

What type of screws to you recomend using when going through the aluminum bench seats. I am thinking that I don't want to use just regular wood screws for that.

I had time to finish up the rest of the main deck last night, which I have posted pictures below. I should be able to finish most of the boat up this weekend. I plan on painting the rest of the inside of the boat as well this weekend. I will continue to post pictures as I finish them up.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,674
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,675
i used gold anodized deck screws with a zinc plated washer to attach the decking to the bench seats, stainless would be best, but in freshwater and not in contact with the water i just couldn't justify the cost. looks real good, i hope to get my pictures up this weekend, hard to do without internet at home.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Its always nice to hear you are doing a good job. I know that I am going to be ready to get her out on the water when its done. Hopefully will have most of it done this weekend. With crappy weather moving in, I will get plently of garage time this weekend. :lol:

I hear that. I hope to get the boat int eh garage this weekend. I have a two stall garage packed with stuff. I made enough room to get the boat in, now I ned room to work. :mrgreen:

Well, I did not get her finished this weekend but I am getting so close, and I can't hardly stand it. I got all of the eletrical working last night and finished up the carpet as well this weekend. Pretty much the only thing left to do is attach the lids to the deck and fasten the deck down. I was to tired last night it was after 11:00 pm when I finally got the electrical panel finshed last night. :D If you guys notice I cut my lids just a little bit to small. I thought I might go to the local junk yard and get some ruber that goes window seals of cars and staple that to the edges of the lids to give them a snug fit. I don't know, I was wondering what others have done, or am I the only one that goofed that big. They really aren't that bad though, I am just a perfectionist and it really bothers me. :x Anyways, I attached more pictures below for you all to check out.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,742
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,740
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,737
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,739
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,732
Hey buddy, it sure is looking good-I can't believe how far along it has come. Looks like you will have to come up and give me a few pointers on finishing my boat, LOL. Take it easy and keep us all posted on the finished product.

Nice work!

I would leave teh lids as is for a couple of reasons.
1) Over time they will shift, and the gap will give you wiggle room.
2) Wood swells in high humidity conditions, that gap will still allow you to open and close the lid.
3) It'll be more hassle than it's worth.

If it really bothers you that much dig out the lid strecher. :mrgreen:

if you don't mind pulling out your staples, you could pull it back from the edges and tack on a small strip of solid wood ripped down to the size you need, then roll carpet back down and you would never know it was there. i had to do that on one side of my bow deck where my angle was not quite right, came out seamless and i'm the only one that knows its there, and i'm sure i'll forget soon enough.

grizzly said:
if you don't mind pulling out your staples, you could pull it back from the edges and tack on a small strip of solid wood ripped down to the size you need, then roll carpet back down and you would never know it was there. i had to do that on one side of my bow deck where my angle was not quite right, came out seamless and i'm the only one that knows its there, and i'm sure i'll forget soon enough.

Not any more. :mrgreen:

Sorry guys i have not been on here for awhile, Been Fishing!!!! The boat works great out on the water. I love every minute of it. It is so much better than my little scamp that I used to use. The 18 Horse Johnson works great. Fired up the first time I ever tried it, and boy am i glad i have the eletric start. I was also worried about the stability of the boat since the front deck was so high up on the sides, but she floats like a dream and feels like i am in a reagular bass boat. The wife and I have also done a lot of Crappie fishing in it and it works great for that. I cant wait to start channel cat fishing late at night it and running limb lines in it, one of the main reasons i bought the boat. The paint job did not work out the greatest and will probally plan on doing that again in the winter time along with the trailer. One thing that i must get done pretty soon are side bunks, it is a pain in the ya know what to get this think back on the trailer in wind. I took her out crappie fishing the first part of spring when the water was only about 48 deg. and ended up in the water walking her on the trailer that was not much fun, after about min the legs went numb, lol. I am so happy with the way she turned out and i owe it all to you guys. Thanks so much for all of the help you guys gave me. Look forward to doing another one.

Thanks again.

Marc

I had stainless guide-ons,found them to hard,non forgiveing.
If you just want guide-ons,1 peice 10' PVC,2 60 degree elbows and a couple u bolts....done
I found the 60 degree elbows match the angle of my jon,you can go longer with the bottom PVC and use a 90 also.
Cheap and easy.

I know nobody has posted in this thread for awhile, but I am new here so I wanted to drop in and comment on how awesome this build really is. I have a very similar boat to this one (it looks identical, but supposedly mine is a different year), and I never would have imagined that it could be transformed into something like what is seen here in this thread. Simply amazing. Well done! =D> I am inspired!

Latest posts