Old or new?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeek

Reaction score
I bought a 1648 Lowe yesterday used but not too abused. The trailer needs some TLC as the winch needs replacing and the wiring look terrible (but the lights work). The frame is pretty stout with 4 cross braces.
I need an opinion or two. I have a like new galvanized expandable trailer at home with my little 10 ft Sears jon sitting on it. It only has two braces on it and the bunks are only 4 ft long. The bunks on the old trailer are 8 ft. The overall length of the trailers are 17 1/2 on the nicer one and 18 ft on the one I got with the boat. Tires are the same size. The older trailer looks heavier built and probably would be okay with new bunks, some paint, rewiring and a new winch. The newer trailer would need new bunks and at least another cross brace to support the longer bunk. Ideas...thoughts?

the bigger the better - and the more support you have underneath, the less damage you could cause to the boat.

I would replace the bunks and winch, sand down the trailer, repaint it and that sucker will look brand new again for less than $100

Thanks for the replies. I just felt that the lighter trailer might be taking the easy way out rather than the right way. I plan to take and post some pics tomorrow so everyone can have a better idea what I've got to start with. I'm planning to use plywood for the decking so it will only get heavier. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get the 275lb boat off to work on the trailer. I may have to buy beer and invite the friends over to watch the Pro Bowl and make that the halftime show. :lol: I mean it isn't like REAL football anyway.
My plan is to get the boat fishable and then do things as I get time.

I've never done this..but have read about it. No guarantees from me...

Easiest way is to rent a boat slip and store your boat there temporarily. I don't know where you are, so that may not work if your lake is frozen.

Assuming you have ( or can rent) many, many, boat stands, or other methods of supporting the boat...you can

#1 tie boat's stern to a big tree; pull boat off slowly and put stands under it as you go.

OR...#2. Raise your trailer's wheel UP..put stands under the boat near the bow area. Drop the trailer wheel way down, put stands under the stern. Move the trailer slowly forward and replace the stands one at a time as you go.

Obviously, renting a slip is, by far, the safest and easiest way to go.
Rich

My son came in and said he figured out a way to do it. I have to build a taller set of saw horses but plan to lift the back and place a long board under the boat and rest them on my two saw horse. Then set the two tall (about 48 " tall saws up front and lift the boat and slide a long heavy board between them. I should be able to pull the trailer out at that point. I was trying to find a hoist and A frame...I guess that will be plan B. I'll take some pics if it works to post...if it doesn't it'll be my secret. :lol:

Sounds good. Remember, you DO have a hoist. It is your front wheel jack. Wind it up or down, the opposite end of the boat moves inversely. Lots of power on every trailer. rich