Older Johnson Trolling Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS60

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just scored an early 90’s Johnson 12V Bow mount Foot control Trolling Motor, for almost nothing.
I think it'll be a nice upgrade from the one I have, but I need to find out a bit more about it.
Model# BFL2TK Serial# H 02714539. (made 1990 through 1994)

By chance does anyone have any information on a motor like this?

Thanks

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
I have read where they use more battery power over a given time period, than newer motors use. Older technology for electrical consumption. Only negative thing I have heard of....

Mine never drank batteries, and they worked great. The last one was a 24V and was super strong.

The digital (variable speed) units have always been a little more efficient except at full speed. Don't remember if the Johnsons are variable or if it was a 1-5 speed unit.

There is probably a little more efficiency, since they use more lightweight plastic parts nowadays, but I'm a little suspicious of such claims.

Newer products are always trying to bash older stuff and exaggerate the benefits so you feel a need to upgrade and they profit from such created fear. I've had several Johnson trolling motors, and they are strong and tough. I would put one on my boat again if I liked foot-controlled units (I don't) and if I didn't need spot lock for what I do.