On the ribs, or on the foam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski73

Reaction score
Guys, Ive used the heck out of the search function on this one, and I cant tell from pictures if yall are installing foam that is a little lower than the ribs, so your floor rides on the ribs, or higher than the ribs so it runs on the foam? I can get 3/4" foamular at HD, and itll be very close to my rib height, but I cant tell if itll be higher or lower by a hair.

Its a tracker 1236, with one rib forward and one aft of the middle bench.

What is ideal? On the ribs, or over the ribs? Or does it matter?

Thanks

Drew

I believe you would put the foam between the ribs and mount the wood to the ribs if you were to mount it at all. Many I have seen just has the flooring laying on the ribs. Even if the foam was a little higher than the ribs, over time it would be squashed down due to the weight of the flooring and/or you walking on it.

If you can't get it exact, I would think that slightly higher than the ribs would be best. I thought mine was going to be slightly higher than the ribs but I discovered that if I put a shallow dado cut at the end of the foam board, this allowed the foam to rest on the hull of the boat rather than being held up by the rivets that connected the ribs to the hull.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341224#p341224 said:
DrNip » 08 Feb 2014, 15:32[/url]"]I believe you would put the foam between the ribs and mount the wood to the ribs if you were to mount it at all. Many I have seen just has the flooring laying on the ribs. Even if the foam was a little higher than the ribs, over time it would be squashed down due to the weight of the flooring and/or you walking on it.

You will want to secure the flooring, otherwise the foam is pointless, as it will just float the floor up and out of the boat. The whole point to the foam is to keep your boat from sinking to the bottom.