Opinion on motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathTaco

Reaction score
I have located a person selling a 1988 Evinrude 25 HP outboard. It has electric start installed, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke. They are asking $500 for it. Says that runs but it is rich and no matter what they do it wont change. Just wondering if that is a good deal because i don't really want to spend money on a pile of junk. Are replacement parts pretty easy to find and are they a pain to work with.

OK, so it turns out that it ran up until the other day when it stopped pumping water. They think that the water pump is shot and needs to be replaced. A complete pump and housing...any idea on the price of one/ difficulty of install. Not very mechanically suave.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't consider buying it with all those issues. Not that great of a price to begin with.. I'd keep looking.

Check craigslist....... for about the same price you can find a late model without issues. I wouldn't even consider that one.

Since you say your(Not very mechanically suave)I agree on passing.Since water pump might be out motor could have been over heated.My thinking,its only worth maybe 250 & that's if it has good compression.

You guys rock, i have heard all i needed to. Gonna pass on this and keep my eyes peeled for something else...what is a good HP to be looking for, i don't want to be crawling around on the water. It will be on a 1448. Sorry to be asking so many questions, but you guys know your stuff for sure.

I would think that your boat is rated for either a 25 or 30... maybe even more.

I've got a 1546, and a 72 Johnson 20hp... it pushes me just fine

DeathTaco said:
OK, so it turns out that it ran up until the other day when it stopped pumping water. They think that the water pump is shot and needs to be replaced. A complete pump and housing...any idea on the price of one/ difficulty of install. Not very mechanically suave.

Chances are it stopped running because the water pump gave out and not circulating water to the head and it overhead and cutoff. Damaged probably occurred to the cylinders when the head overhead and rings expanded. Also the over heating could have warped the cylinder head and blown the head gasket. Low compression on cylinder can cause poor running and a fuel rich type symptoms.

So, Yes I agree with the above suggestions and pass on this motor. :wink:

Oh, I have a The 1986, 1449 is a 14 foot Monark boat and 1984 Evinrude 15hp on it and planes it just fine with 2 fisherman and stuff. I get about 20mph with 2 people and 23 to 24mph with just me. So I think a 15hp, 18hp, 20hp and 25hp would do just fine. (My max hp for my boat is 25hp)

cajuncook1

OK, so i did some digging around in my area, and found a johnson 25HP with gas tank, spare prop, new water pump, and motor stand. The motor is in working condition. He wants $800 for it, but I was thinking more like offering $600. Once again i need ya'lls opinion because i am new to this and don't want to be ripped off.

DeathTaco said:
OK, so i did some digging around in my area, and found a johnson 25HP with gas tank, spare prop, new water pump, and motor stand. The motor is in working condition. He wants $800 for it, but I was thinking more like offering $600. Once again i need ya'lls opinion because i am new to this and don't want to be ripped off.

what year?

Latest posts