Opinions needed on this rig.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont now enough about ETECs to comment. But apparently it has been serviced to maintain the warranty for another 6 years. That is reassuring.

It is a real nice boat with some nice features. Looks to be in great shape. Trailer is very nice looking (puts mine to shame).

I'm just too far removed from your local used boat market to say anything about the price. Maybe run the NADA guide or whatever it is called.

She's pretty for sure. I kind of have thoughts that she may be more boat then I actually want.
I was searching boats up to 16', open, with 2-3 actual seats for my wife and daughter for the occasional boat ride with maybe a 20-25 bolted to the back. Then this popped up and got me excited.

I'm not sure what to do.
I dont now enough about ETECs to comment. But apparently it has been serviced to maintain the warranty for another 6 years. That is reassuring.

It is a real nice boat with some nice features. Looks to be in great shape. Trailer is very nice looking (puts mine to shame).

I'm just too far removed from your local used boat market to say anything about the price. Maybe run the NADA guide or whatever it is called.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019-mirrocraft-1687-troller-exp-8997321/
I don't think I particularly care for the etec aspect but it does say it's under factory warranty until 2029.

So tear the offer apart, what is bad about it and what offer would you make.
I would ask how that warranty is to be applied in the future with evinrude belly up. Parts too for that matter as the newer evinrudes were not nearly as popular as the older models so I can see parts availability being a issue down the rd. I can't speak on its reliability as I've never owned nor known anyone that has any of the newer evinrudes. That boat is probably about the smallest I would go for 2 adults and a kid. The kid will grow fast and want to bring a friend before you know it . I always say with boats and tractors buy a bit bigger than you think you'll really need because before you'll know it you'll need the extra capacity/capabilities.

What’s the 2023 or 2024 equivalent sell for? If $30k it‘s probably not a bad deal, $25k you could probably do better.

It looks like a good all around fishing and family boat. IMO, the 60hp is a bit small if you intend to tow skiers or wake hoarders. Would be fine for tubing.

Last edited:
The inly thing I noticed was that rear bench seat, nobody likes riding back there, to much spray, loud from the engine, and possibly to much weight in the rear if two adults sit there. Boat looks very nice, mirro makes nice boats. I might be a little hesitant on the Etec unless I had a certified dealer close by where the warranty could be transfered ! This past summer, I had to tow in 2 boats with Etecs with electrical issues. Both guys said they just had them serviced a short while back. In the old days, I was a big OMC fan, nothing better ! Then I bought an early 90's with VRO, nothing but problems. Today I have a 92 Merc classic two stroke....love it, runs like a scared cat !!

The inly thing I noticed was that rear bench seat, nobody likes riding back there, to much spray, loud from the engine, and possibly to much weight in the rear if two adults sit there. Boat looks very nice, mirro makes nice boats. I might be a little hesitant on the Etec unless I had a certified dealer close by where the warranty could be transfered ! This past summer, I had to tow in 2 boats with Etecs with electrical issues. Both guys said they just had them serviced a short while back. In the old days, I was a big OMC fan, nothing better ! Then I bought an early 90's with VRO, nothing but problems. Today I have a 92 Merc classic two stroke....love it, runs like a scared cat !!
Yes the etec is a concern for me too, also for resale reasons down the line. I'm bouncing things around, not worried if another buyer takes it.

I have no affiliation with this seller, I just thought I would give a look see at what was out there.

Good Luck to you what ever you decide to do.......(y)

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019-mirrocraft-1687-troller-exp-8997321/
I don't think I particularly care for the etec aspect but it does say it's under factory warranty until 2029.

So tear the offer apart, what is bad about it and what offer would you make.
I live upstate, and I'm no expert. But if you mainly want a 16' boat for fishing, from what I see for sale you could get a fairly recent boat with a 25 merc or Yamaha for a lot less. I don't know about the eTec motors either, but there was a guy near me in northern PA that had a very clean 14' Starcraft with an etch motor, really good price, and it took him forever to sell it.

If I was in the market for a boat, it seems like a good deal from the pics. If the family is going to spend significant time on that boat, then it seems like a really good deal. Looks decently equipped, and there have been times that I would really have liked a bimini top in the hot summer sun.

There's something to be said for getting a boat that is water ready, vice having to put $$ and work into a boat that needs work before it can be used.

As for the eTech motor, I've only operated one and that was at a resort up on Lake of the Woods. Seemed decent enough and ran well.

If I were to buy that boat, I'd take it out a few times to see how it does with that 60. But I'd be prepared to start saving up some shekels for a bigger motor in a year or two.

It seems I bought the boat you were/are looking for. 1974 16' Mirrocraft with a 2002 2 stroke 25hp Mercury. I just got new boat numbers for it yesterday. I had the engine completely serviced. I really wanted a 16' vs anything smaller or bigger. I wanted something simpler this time than the other boats I have owned. Getting ready to retire in a year or two and will put this to good use. Paid $3k for it as it sits in the picture.

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230304_232124225.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232124225.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 3
Wow, that looks almost exactly like the layout of the boat I remodeled this summer. I can say from experience, that it's a great layout. Here is a pic of mid-build. Mine doesn't have the flip up seat/platform in the back, though:

Resized_20230829_183640.jpeg

I disagree with the comments above- the seating across the back is the best seat in the house. You get the least bouncing, can stretch your legs and if your motor isn't loud, sound is not really an issue.

Evinrude didn't go belly-up, Bombardier just stopped producing new motors. Dealers still service them and cover the warranty but you really NEED to have a dealer near you, or it will be a serious chore if you ever need anything.

I have several Etec motors, and they are outstanding. Very strong for their HP rating. Will drag most 4-strokes around backwards, as you can see in the YouTube videos. Almost maintenance free. Long service intervals.

But that being said, because they aren't in current production, I would think VERY long and hard about spending $20k on a used boat with one on the back, especially if you could find something similar with a newer 4-stroke.

I find Etecs around at a reduced price and am super happy running them! But not at full price...

That's just my reasoning, though.

EDIT
So the boat was only $22k brand new, and they are asking $20k after five years of use.

That doesn't seem like the greatest deal to me, but it's a nice boat. I would offer average retail PLUS $1,500 for the trolling motor seutp if I really liked the boat.

That being said, I think you can find many nice boats in the $15-$20K range with 4-stroke motors, if they won't negotiate.

Last edited:
I live upstate, and I'm no expert. But if you mainly want a 16' boat for fishing, from what I see for sale you could get a fairly recent boat with a 25 merc or Yamaha for a lot less. I don't know about the eTec motors either, but there was a guy near me in northern PA that had a very clean 14' Starcraft with an etch motor, really good price, and it took him forever to sell it.
Yes, the motor, worthy or not has the lemon label stuck on it, parts might be a tough find.

EDIT
So the boat was only $22k brand new, and they are asking $20k after five years of use.

That doesn't seem like the greatest deal to me, but it's a nice boat. I would offer average retail PLUS $1,500 for the trolling motor seutp if I really liked the boat.

That being said, I think you can find many nice boats in the $15-$20K range with 4-stroke motors, if they won't negotiate.
How did you find the price new? Did you factor in boat w options? If that is truly the case I'd be coming in about 15k at best. Thanks edit: just saw the other response with a breakdown on the pricing. I'm lost for the moment.