Opinions needed.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my G3, But I have always wanted/needed a tiny car topper for those little kettle ponds that hold monster cows that people cant get at. I have been looking for a coleman crawdad, but I came across this. I think Im going to off him $200 and be done with it. I might put a floor, but nothing else.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/728675731.html

Jim, I would see if the seller would let you put that in there bathtub before you buy it. Those smaller boats like that are EXTREMELY tipsy! I saw a guy flip one twice while fishing for blugill! First time I saw him flip I asked if he was ok, then laughed a little when he wasn't looking. Seconed time, I just died laughing!
Seriously though if you are a bigger guy over 200lbs, I would take it out in a little pond first.

Pont

JIM GETTING A JON BOAT! *GASP* FINALLY NOW THE ADMIN MAY HAVE A JON!......... lol jk. nice boat. even tho i havent taken mine out yet. ask him to go for a test run. xD :mrgreen:

Looks like a good deal,snap it up.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a Kayak for those situations that way might try a slow moving river,....easier to pick up to.

Jim,

I have had a few of those types for the same reason you are wanting it. They do pose a few downsides you may want to consider.

1. The ad mentions it is heavier alum, not the thin stuff. This means heavier in weight also! By the time you add a floor, battery, TM, and gear, I promise you will either need to invite two buddies with you each time to help you get it in the water or you will get tired of packing each item to the water and back again.
My personal experience is as follows:
-"hey man, you wanna' go fishing in old man Miller's pond"
-"You mean the one that is 400 yards from the road?"
-"Yeah, that's it..."
-"And we'll be taking your boat?"
-"yep"
-"I don't think so (hangs up laughing)"
-Put all the equipment in the boat and get attempt to heave it in the back of my truck
-Remove all the equipment and set it to the side, taking a break to regain my breath
-Load the empty hull into the truck
-Load the equipment back in the boat
-Get in the truck and pull off
-Stop and back up
-Get out and put the battery in the boat that I forgot I had taken out and placed on the passenger side
-Get back in and drive off
-Arrive at the field where the pond is. "Old man Miller don't care if you fish, but don't track up his rye grass and dang sure don't leave the gate open for the cows to get out."
-Try unloading the boat with all the equipment in it
-"What was that twinge in my back?"
-About half way out the truck I realize I'm on gravel and don't want to drop the boat, knowing I can't hold it up
-Push the boat back in
-Unload the stuff again
-Now the boat...
-"Man, it sure is hot out here...(looking across the field where I have to drag all this stuff to)"
-One hour and 6 trips later everything is at the water. Time to go fishing!
-Make one more trip back to the truck to get the rod I left by the fenderwell.
-Get in the boat and start working the pond over.
-Catch three bucketmouths over 8lbs each (kinda makes all this worth it now!)
-Cows show up for a drink of water.
-Cows don't like getting spooked by a spinnerbait!!
-"Wonder how I'm gonna make it back to the truck with that big ole bull standing there looking at me like that?"
-Cows finally leave
-Water smells like a sewer treatment plant now.
-Fish turn off.
-"I sure wish he would have came with me..."
-Drag everything back to the boat
-Load each item up one by one. Too tired to try the other way.
-Head back home
-"Hey man, you should have come with me. You won't believe these fish"
-"That's okay...by the way, Old man Miller just came by to drop off the TM you left in the field and wanted to know what time you would be back to help pen his cows back up."
-Unload the boat, grab a beer, start thumbing through that G3 brochure again........

2. As mentioned, be wary of narrow boats. They WILL flip. I have been in some that made it hard to set the hook for fear of doing a barrel roll!

3. I have always wanted one but never bought one, but the plastic boats do fish well. They only weigh 100 lbs(without gear) and can be handled by one person. My buddy(not the one above, I don't take him fishing anymore!!) had one and it was great. You may want to consider looking at them.

Sorry for the long post... :oops:

:LOL2:

The G3 brochure is under the pillow.

The lakes i need to get at are only 50 yards tops. Any more than that, the truck will go in 4WD.

Even the plastic boat was a PITA with the trolling motor and battery....just as you described.

I've pond fished from one like that for years. Great boat.

One word of advice.. ditch that pedestal mount and lower the center of gravity down. We wound up mounting plates across the gunnels above the "deck" and rear seat and mounting directly to those. That's about as high as you want to be in a boat that size.

I say if you got the extra coin offer him 2 for it and if he does cool if not well,i'm sure you can run across one somewhere else.
BTW,i found a good deal on a trailer 16 ft. i think but it needs an axle. The one that's on it is good but it's set up for tandem but the dude only wants 250 bucks for it. I thought about buying it just for hauling my 4 wheelers or ridin mower and then if i found another axle cheap i could have a trailer good enough to haul a car or whatever else i needed.But,just like any other "thought" I probably won't!

Quackrstackr said:
I've pond fished from one like that for years. Great boat.

One word of advice.. ditch that pedestal mount and lower the center of gravity down. We wound up mounting plates across the gunnels above the "deck" and rear seat and mounting directly to those. That's about as high as you want to be in a boat that size.

The seat is not part of the sale anyway...he just informed me.

I would be concerned about the condition of the hull since it's had a liberal application of black sealant applied already.

Latest posts