Patching holes and corrosion on a Star craft Mariner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm late to the party. Weld if you can find someone who knows what they're doing--expensive but will last. Depends how many holes. I know people that have braized on smaller holes. I've done epoxy and it held for a couple years, so then just did it again--etching bare aluminum is key. Talk to west systems they've been helpful over the years.

I’d check how far the corrosion around the smaller holes has spread first. Chances are, if it corroded enough to eat through, the metal around them is going to be extremely thin and brittle as well.
It doesnt look too bad or feel soft or thin from the outside. No way of knowing how it looks on the inside without pulling up the deck.

Im thinking the best course of action is to remove the deck and see what is actually going on underneath. I should be able to do a better job at patching too. Couple questions. Do I have to pull the outboard? I think the wood floor provides some structural integrity but the transom is being supported by the trailer. Also does the wood floring run underneath the interior side pannels usually? I guess if thats the case I just drill out the rivets and re rivet it back together when Im done.

Good to see Dangar Stu again! He and I used to talk regularly. He came here to the US right as a hurricane hit, so we didn't get to meet in person. Really nice guy and he gave out some very good boat and engine knowledge. He's gotten away from making so many videos, but Dangar Marine has a pretty extensive library of helpful videos for boat owners. A+ in my book.

That being said, he should have filled the pop rivet holes with Sikaflex to keep salt water from eating the rivet from inside and eventually leaking, but he did mention that you can seal it from the outside.

I watch a lot of his videos. He is/was sponsored by Marine Engine, which says a lot I think. On his website (dangarmarine.com), he has this flowchart map to trace down potential issues. A lot of it is way over my head, but it is pretty neat.