Possible trailer purchase!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moberg12

Reaction score
I've got a 16' mirrocraft. My boat came with a trailer but the trailer is home made and kind of sketchy. The only thing holding up my build right now is a trailer rebuild. Now my current trailer is weird, the axle is square and the hub is bolted to it. I haven't taken it apart yet but it looks like it will need an axle, springs, and hubs along with some welding.

So I've be searching for a new trailer and came across this.

3nf3m23le5V05Y15S1b2gd2472bf40d041fb4.jpg

3nd3md3od5T45X15R4b2g51f9426f51121efc.jpg

3n13me3le5Q15W45S4b2g85c2395df8f112bd.jpg

The ad states his trailer can hold up to a 18' boat. I'm a little worried about the width, my boat only has a 67" beam at the widest point. Just worried it might be too much trailer.

Do you guys think I should pull the trigger, the price is $250

What condition are the lights, wiring, tires, bearings, bunks and do they have the title? If anything is bad you can use that to haggle on the price. I paid $75 for a smaller trailer then spent $150 rebuilding it.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
What condition are the lights, wiring, tires, bearings, bunks and do they have the title? If anything is bad you can use that to haggle on the price. I paid $75 for a smaller trailer then spent $150 rebuilding it.

The trailer came out of GA so there is no title. That is a hurdle I would have to get over with my current trailer but it seems like a pretty straight forward process here in NC. Didn't ask about the lights, bearing, bunks... I plan on replacing that stuff anyway. Unlike my current trailer I could get off the shelf parts for this one making the rebuilding process easier. I put new tires, tongue, and winch on my current trailer when I first bought it. It was mostly out of necessity in getting it home. I could sell or salvage those parts to make this trailer work. My main fear is that it is too big!!

I'm gonna go take a look see on Saturday with tape measure in hand!!

I think that trailer is overkill for your boat but better to go big than be too small. IMO that trailer is well worth 250 even if you wind up having to replace some lights and bearings. Id be all over it. I paid 150 for a rusted piece of junk then spent 350 rebuilding it. That trailer looks to be n pretty good condition.

BassBlaster said:
I think that trailer is overkill for your boat but better to go big than be too small. IMO that trailer is well worth 250 even if you wind up having to replace some lights and bearings. Id be all over it. I paid 150 for a rusted piece of junk then spent 350 rebuilding it. That trailer looks to be n pretty good condition.

Yeah I'm talking myself into this purchase more and more. Move the bunks and add some rollers and I think I will have a much better rig!! I think I can drive away with it for two bills!!

moberg12 said:
BassBlaster said:

Yeah I'm talking myself into this purchase more and more. Move the bunks and add some rollers and I think I will have a much better rig!! I think I can drive away with it for two bills!!
If you can get it for 200, Id buy it even if I didnt need it right now.

My recent boat purchase came with a very old trailer that was too big and rusted, etc.. The bunks did not fit the boat.

After crawling around underneath it with a grinder, most of the rust was eliminated. One coat of oil-based primer and a couple of coats of oil-based black paint, and she looks very good. Repositioning the bunks made a big difference when loading and unloading.

A new galvanized trailer would have cost $1,400.00. Considering what I have in the boat overall, that was way too much for just a trailer. I probably put $500.00 into this one and I couldn't be happier. A little elbow grease goes a long way. The slightly larger size carries the boat very safely and she trails behind my vehicle well.

Better too, if you can work on the trailer without the boat on it...which I had to do. rich

That trailer is way too big for your boat. If you dont care how it looks, I suppose you could make it fit your boat.

Latest posts