preparation for repainting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spcamno

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the research stage to refinish my recently accquird 16.5' Smokercraft Stilleto.

The paint is not in bad shape except some scratches and sun fade.

I tried the search the forum however can't seems to find a definite answer so please bare with me.

I aware I should use self etching primer or zinc chromate on bare aluminum but there are only a few spots where the original paint been rub through to bare aluminum the rest of the paint still holding and adhered properly my question is after I degrease the entire boat and sand smooth any bare spot and scuff the paint for proper adhesion should I use water and vinegar solution to wipe the surface before spray primer?

Is rinsing required after the solution or just prime it right after?

Is etching primer good or has to be zine chromate and should I prime the entire boat even the rest of the paint is still good or just bare spots?

A lso, should I use some kind of primer surfacer over the etching / zinc chromate primer to cover any superficial flaws or no?

I like to use mineral spirits to de-grease the surface prior to primer/paint. I wipe it on with a clean cloth and then dry it with a separate clean cloth, then let it sit for maybe 30 minutes before painting. Sometimes I'll used compressed air if there are little nooks and crannies that need extra drying.

Zinc chromate primer is typically only used on bare aluminum. If the majority of your boat has decent paint already, you can just scuff it up, clean it really well, and apply just about any type of primer you want.

I am a huge fan of the Rustoleaum Self Etching Primer (not to be confused with their Bare Metal Primer). I use it on bare aluminum or painted surfaces with excellent success. I usually get it at Wal Mart. I'm not sure if its got Zinc in it or not, but it works really well. You only need a light coat of the primer .... don't put it on too thick.

AU_SelfEtchingPrimer_12oz_Gray_L.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337701#p337701 said:
MrSimon » 02 Jan 2014, 10:47[/url]"]I like to use mineral spirits to de-grease the surface prior to primer/paint. I wipe it on with a clean cloth and then dry it with a separate clean cloth, then let it sit for maybe 30 minutes before painting. Sometimes I'll used compressed air if there are little nooks and crannies that need extra drying.

Zinc chromate primer is typically only used on bare aluminum. If the majority of your boat has decent paint already, you can just scuff it up, clean it really well, and apply just about any type of primer you want.

I am a huge fan of the Rustoleaum Self Etching Primer (not to be confused with their Bare Metal Primer). I use it on bare aluminum or painted surfaces with excellent success. I usually get it at Wal Mart. I'm not sure if its got Zinc in it or not, but it works really well. You only need a light coat of the primer .... don't put it on too thick.

AU_SelfEtchingPrimer_12oz_Gray_L.jpg

Thank you MrSimon for taking time to answer my questions.

I think preparation is the key and I will definitely keep your info in mind and hopefully will get a chance to work on it in the Spring.

Thanks again and happy new year to everybody!

Latest posts