Pressure treated wood used for floor deck!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl_rotary

Reaction score
Looking at a aluminum v hull thatvtheyvused pressure treated wood for the flooring. I know thats not what should be used, but should i be worried and stay away? Wondering how long it would need to be installed before it starts damaging the aluminum. Any insight or thoughts. I dont know how long its been on the boat, but know it was mainly stored in barn if that makes any difference.

I can only tell you that it took over 20 years and wet transom to put "worm tracks" and a few small pin holes in the aluminum on my 1648. The transom wood was PT plywood with no visable sealing/paint.

If it has been fully sealed, probably not worth worring about. Dry is better than wet, but once wet, it will take allot to dry out the layer under the plywood. Is there foam uner the floor?

The danger of treated wood is in the treatment.
All treated woods use a metal as a preservative...copper, zinc, arsenic, etc.
Dissimilar metals (contact with the boat's aluminum) lead to galvanic corrosion.

It happens at different rates due to the presence/absence of an electrolyte (polarity and salts) but it happens nonetheless.
I can wax poetic about the chemical processes if needed, but in general, it's best to simply avoid treated woods.

Ask them if they put a barrier between the wood and metal. It will probably be fine, but it might not. If it's cheap enough, I'd just take the chance. If it's a $$$ boat, I would like to see under a panel or two.

The PT wood made in the past 20 years no longer has the harsh chemicals that it had before then. It also doesn't last anywhere near as long outside. So..if that wood is less than 22 years, you might be ok. Built a deck 24 yrs back with "new improved" PT lumber. That lumber has been bad for the past 3-4 years. According to the tags was to last over 25 yrs on direct ground contact. No ground contact yet rotted away before the untreated lumber around it !

Would spraying the inside of the boat with a "bedliner" product save the work I've done unknowingly with PT?

Would spraying the inside of the boat with a "bedliner" product save the work I've done unknowingly with PT?

I think that makes a bigger mess in the long run. It is the contact points that are the main concern, and would need to lift the floor to add any barrier.

When I did my floor on my V-HULL MIRROR CRAFT 14ft.TROLLER after taking out the rotted plywood not knowing what manufacture used as boat was left outside, I went with marine ply and was lucky enough to find no damage to interior of hull prior to new floor .