Princecraft Rant - Amarok Recall

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malfar

Reaction score
Anyone had the recall for addition of floatation foam to the Amarok completed. I have asked Princecraft for an explanation of how it will be done and all they say is that they drill holes and add foam and then put plastic plugs in the holes -"all will be good". I'd like to know how many holes and where they are located - don't want plastic plugs in the floor, etc - plastic gets hard and breaks after a few years. Dealer has told me this is a big job.
Interesting that they also quote a USCG recall number but USCG data bases and quarterly reports on recalls show no reference to this recall number - no records of a Canadian recall either. I asked PC for an explanation and all they will say is you received a letter from us that is all you need to know. Wondering about the legitimacy of this recall and now contacting USCG for info. As well I'm in Canada and can't find anything about this recall here - internet searches turn up nothing. Interestingly one dealer told me it's all BS and relates to some court case in California. Dealers won't do the work till middle of winter and one wants me to pay to winterize and store my boat with them to get it done. Princecraft said in the recall this spring not to use the boat until done - and when you tell them the dealers are too busy to do the work their response is - "our responsibility is to bring the boat up to standard - The dealer decides when he can do the repair, unfortunately there is nothing Princecraft can do for this part." Which is untrue as the manufacturers have all kinds of influence with their dealers.

I see no benefit for the mfg in putting out a false notice. The boat was apparently designed without enough flotation to float when fully capsized. Maybe that court case exposed the issue? I wouldn't worry about the plastic caps. I've seen them in different boats and bet they can be obtained easily.

Maybe Canada doesn't have the same requirement as the US? If you choose not to have it fixed, you maybe exposing yourself to liability. Certainly if you sell it, make sure the new owner is aware and has the paperwork. I'd even have it on the bill of sale.

I had to look that model of Princecraft up. Nice boat!
If all the recall does is add a bit of foam to correct the problem, then let it happen. I'm sure, if you have a decent dealer, that they will do the least obtrusive job possible.
Don't let the dealer dictate what time of year it will get done. They have an obligation to do the repair in a timely manor with no strings attached. If the dealer can't do this, find another Princecraft dealer that can. I know, it's a total pain in the donkey, but at least it's under warranty.

Latest posts