Project "Livin Large" (update July 19 - rocket launchers!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, BaitCaster.
You have an awesome rig.

I just bought my first fishfinder, just an entry level unit.
I like how you installed yours.
Is that a plastic mounting board for the transducer?
What kind of sealer did you use
on mounting screws?
Appreciate any help.

jasper

jasper60103 said:
Hey, BaitCaster.
You have an awesome rig.

on mounting screws?
Appreciate any help.

jasper

Hey Jasper,

Yes, that is a plastic transducer mounting plate that I got from Cabelas. I used a marine sealant that I got from Canadian Tire. I can't remember the brand name, but it works really well. I'll get the name for you tonight. I used it to glue my bilge pump to the floor of the boat and it is rock solid.

BaitCaster said:
jasper60103 said:
Hey, BaitCaster.
You have an awesome rig.

on mounting screws?
Appreciate any help.

jasper

Hey Jasper,

Yes, that is a plastic transducer mounting plate that I got from Cabelas. I used a marine sealant that I got from Canadian Tire. I can't remember the brand name, but it works really well. I used it to glue my bilge pump to the floor of the boat and it is rock solid.

Sounds good. I'll check out Cabelas. Thanks.

Looks great Baitcaster, real nice setup. Are you putting the battery in the hatch in the rear bench?

Ictalurus said:
Looks great Baitcaster, real nice setup. Are you putting the battery in the hatch in the rear bench?

No, the main battery will stay in the well behind the rear bench, beside the gas tank. The hatch will be for gear sotrage, but I will keep the small battery, which is dedicated to the sonar/GPS unit in there too.

Baitcaster, how is the "fish saver" livewell pump working out for you? I am working on a 1542 mod and was going to copy your install....among other things! Thanks for all the info, great looking boat.

Sooner2260 said:
Baitcaster, how is the "fish saver" livewell pump working out for you? I am working on a 1542 mod and was going to copy your install....among other things! Thanks for all the info, great looking boat.

Thanks Sooner. I haven't used the livewell with a fish in it yet. However, the fish-saver unit runs really well and pumps quite a bit of water. It was also really easy to install in the 1542 livewell. One thing I am probably going to add at some point is a timer.

I got my mini-jacker installed yesterday. As some of you may remember, I got the jacker to create more clearance between my lower unit and trasnom so I can get better side image scans on my Humminbird. I am hoping I also get some improved outboard performance.

Anyway, this was one of the easiest installs I have done. It only took 1/2 hour.

First thing you do is drill out the holes on the jack plate. I used a 1/2 inch drill.

mj1.JPG

mj2.JPG

I laid out some lines on the transom in order to get the jack centred and then marked out one hole. No turning back now!

mj3.JPG

I used 1/2 inch stainless steel hex bolts. They are expensive, but necessary.

mj4.JPG

I hand tightened the bolt and then levelled up the jack plate to mark out a second hole.

mj5.JPG

After securing the plate with the second bolt I used the plate as a template to drill out the remaining holes and then attached the remaining bolts.

mj6.JPG

mj7.JPG

mj8.JPG

mj9.JPG

mj10.JPG

Now there is ample clearance for the transducer. I haven't applied any marine sealant to the holes yet as I need to test run the motor and detemine whether it needs to be moved up or down. Once I am satsified with it I will apply the sealant.

mj11.JPG

mj12.JPG

mj13.JPG

jasper60103 said:
Baitcaster,
Nice work. Should be good to go with some fine tuning.
Are those adjustment holes about an inch apart?

jasper

I didn't measure them but I wuold say approx. one inch.

Nice build you have here. I really like the precision you have going on.
Few questions...
Did you ever get the mini jacker sealed up tight?
Could you notice a difference in performance?

cmatthews_jm said:
Nice build you have here. I really like the precision you have going on.
Few questions...
Did you ever get the mini jacker sealed up tight?
Could you notice a difference in performance?

Thanks! I haven't sealed up the mini-jacker yet. I want to wait until I am absolutely sure I have it where I want it. I had the boat out last Saturday and I did notice an improvement in performance. First of all, I am getting nice clear side scans with no interference from the motor. The boat planes out nicely and I picked up between 1 and 2 mph at WOT. I will probably leave the jack plate where it is currently installed. I definitely won't be lowering it, but I do want to try shimming up the motor a little higher and seeing how she runs.

Where does that put the cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the boat? You've got me interested if you aren't having any blowout problems. Running shallower is always better. The lake I fish is loaded with stumps.

benjineer said:
Where does that put the cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the boat? You've got me interested if you aren't having any blowout problems. Running shallower is always better. The lake I fish is loaded with stumps.

My cavitation plate is currently sitting abuot 1 inch above the bottom of the boat. I haven't had any blow-out issues but I did have some cavitation (is that the right word?) in sharp turns.

I love what you've done with your rig buddy. I will soon be purchasing a Tracker 1542 and will also be taking my time in modding it. Mostly due to my current financial situation (1 year old son and building a new home). I really like how you rigged your aerator in the existing livewell. Such a simple fix and yet it's perfect. Great job!!!

Nice build. How's that Mini-Jacker working for you? I was thinking of buying one to use for my kicker motor. I would place it so it would be even with the transom since it will be a short shaft kicker on a short shaft transom. Do you think this will work? Would I be able to get the motor mounted up tight enough?

ITGuy said:
Nice build. How's that Mini-Jacker working for you? I was thinking of buying one to use for my kicker motor. I would place it so it would be even with the transom since it will be a short shaft kicker on a short shaft transom. Do you think this will work? Would I be able to get the motor mounted up tight enough?

I think that might be a problem. There may not be enough clearance between the transom and the motor bracket to tighten up the clamps.

I installed two flush mount "rocket-launcher" rod holders and a second rod saver strap.

It was a pretty easy install. I did have to use my Dremel tool to make the holes oval shaped to accommodate the angle of the tubes. I also had to carve out holes in the floatation foam under the seat for the tubes and to allow water drainage. I just used a long piece of scrap metal to do that.

Interesting how the logo on my old rod saver has faded - see the comparison photos between the old and new ones below.

Attachments

• rodsaver2.JPG
    rodsaver2.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 1,617
  • rodsaver1.JPG
    rodsaver1.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • rodholder5.JPG
    rodholder5.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 1,617
  • rodholder4.JPG
    rodholder4.JPG