Project SeaArk (NO 56K) Update New Pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinasled

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Been roaming this site for some time now and I finally got a boat. Its a 1542 SeaArk with a 40hp Suzuki. So I guess I will start a thread on this boat. Here are some pics of what I'm getting started with. The boat and trailer needs some TLC and hopefully it will start to look good before too long.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

So I have removed the boat from the trailer, to start working on the trailer. I wanted to give the trailer the first attention since the boat would be its best friend. So I have stripped the trailer, Welded the tilt shut, Welded on some more bunk brackets, carpeted the bunks and guides, painted the trailer, add a new jack and some chain. I started this project on Friday July 2nd and have been working on and off it this weekend.

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Rat,,,,,Not Sure :-k I havent even had her in the water yet to be honest with you. Today is a week since I got it and it rained here in SC pretty much all last week on and off. But I sure hope so....LoL.

Here is a few shots of the trailer from this morning almost done. I still need to remove that chain from the middle of the trailer, I need to decide where to put the lights and weld up the new brackets. The left guide bracket were bend out a little and I dont have any gas for the torch so I havent worried about it, Might not either. Ohh and there is finger prints of glue that I couldnt help getting on the bunk while doing it. Yeah it was a messy job.

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Welcome to TinBoats carolinasled.

You made short work of that trailer. Looks great.

And the boat you got is one of the best made tins I've seen. Look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

That boat is really nice as is. Don't know if there is all that much to mod.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Why did you do away with the tilt on the trailer?

I'm with him on that decision.. I want to do the same on mine. It can become a big weak point in the trailer when the bolts work themselves lose over the year. Plus knowing there is a 3/4" tab keeping my boat from smashing down on the highway is a little nerve-racking :shock:

I also have a tilt trailer and thought it was a neat feature, maybe for resale. Also thought of welding it closed but will not for now. Still doing the mod. Did you spray your paint on? Also like the side bunkers and plan to weld some on mine.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14366

dyeguy1212 said:
Nice ride.. and tow vehicle! I've got an 01 jimmy.
The bunks aren't pressure treated are they?

Thanks, I love my blazer on the days I wish it wasnt a truck....LOL.
The bunks are pressure treated.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Why did you do away with the tilt on the trailer?

I have never really like a tilt trailer, Just personal opinion.

Howard said:
Did you spray your paint on? Also like the side bunkers and plan to weld some on mine.

I actually brushed it on straight out of the can, I didnt thin it. I have been wanting to try my cheap HF HVLP, Maybe I will work enough nerves this week when I flip the boat.

Brine said:
Welcome to TinBoats carolinasled.

You made short work of that trailer. Looks great.

And the boat you got is one of the best made tins I've seen. Look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

Thank You Brine.

You might want to do some research on PT wood before you decide to stick with it... search function in the top right.

PT wood causes corrosion on aluminum, and from what I've gathered it can occur pretty quickly when the boat sits on wet bunks so often. Most people go with normal lumber with a water sealer or urethane on it.

I too used pressure treated wood for my bunks. I did that before i knew about the corrosion possibilities. My trailer hasn't hit the water yet though because I have been modding my boat. I am going to check out the hard plastic slides or whatever their called that mount on the bunks and help the boat slide easily on the trailer. I assume those will fix the problem as the boat won't be resting on the bunks. If they are too expensive I will just redo the bunks but it is an option I thought I would suggest. Trailer looks great.

27 bucks for these. Probably less than redoing it unless you have the wood, sealer, and carpet laying around.
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&id=0001919010239a&navCount=2&podId=0001919&parentId=cat21382&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21382&hasJS=true

dyeguy1212 said:
You might want to do some research on PT wood before you decide to stick with it... search function in the top right.

PT wood causes corrosion on aluminum, and from what I've gathered it can occur pretty quickly when the boat sits on wet bunks so often. Most people go with normal lumber with a water sealer or urethane on it.

Thanks for the tip, I will check into that since the bunks are about a foot too short anyways. I kinda wish I could find 2x4 end caps to cover the carpeted bunk ends....

Nice Boat!! Shouldn't take much to modify it (IMO). Can't wait to see updates!! Wish I could find a deal like that :mrgreen:

I would think, if you used pressure treated and didn't want to redo the work (like bunks), you could take carpet off and glass the wood over and it would be fine.

I also have noticed down here in the south, yellawood brand advertises that its treated lumber is aluminum safe. I used that on my boat and as of yet have seen no issues.

You did a great job on that trailer looks great.

basshunter25 said:
I am going to check out the hard plastic slides or whatever their called that mount on the bunks and help the boat slide easily on the trailer.

Basshunter, I will never buy those plastic slides for my boat. A friend of mine has them on his 14 foot jon, and one day were were going out he unhooked the front strap/hook to back down the ramp he taped the breaks and there goes his boat slid right off the trailer onto the ground. Lucky did not do anything to the outboard. It almost ended our day before we even put it in the water. Now I see you have a 16-48 so it might be heavy enough to not happen. But that something you might want to keep in mind.

Latest posts