propane outboards by Lehr

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333038#p333038 said:
JMichael » 26 Oct 2013, 10:30[/url]"]You might need to send Jim a PM with that question. It may be a while before he sees this thread and your question.
Yup, I didn't think of that. Thanks

Propane prices vary so much,here in Edmonton at gas stations a 20# can cost you $21 + but at Costco it's only $ 12 Canadian !.....got to love Costco prices !, too bad they don't sell Shell's V power non ethanol premium gas....but then that still kinda ok at $1.25/liter ! (we run it in everything,including lawnmower).

around here its about 25 bucks for a 20 lb tanks exchange. However, several years ago they changed the fittings and added a check valve inside so a 20 lb tank only holds about 17 lbs and it still costs the same for 20 lb.

lptanksafety-216x300.jpg

Have you ever wondered why the US measures almost all liquids in quarts/gallons, but when it comes to small amounts of propane they use lbs as the measurement? I think if the majority of the public realized and thought about the fact that they are paying over $10 a gallon in some cases, they might revert back to charcoal or at least seek out less expensive means of getting their tanks filled.

Of course if you figured the cost of a gallon based on buying individual 1lb tanks, you could be paying over $27 per gallon. :shock:

Well, it's obvious we won't get a response here from Lehr. I believe I'll wait a few years for their motors to mature before I consider them again, and I'm sure I'll have another brand hanging on my transom by then. That's a shame, they appeared promising.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332752#p332752 said:
JMichael » 23 Oct 2013, 01:09[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332741#p332741 said:
redbug » Yesterday, 19:33[/url]"]Plenty of natural gas vehicles on the road now we have a few work trucks that run on it and they do great only proplem is the range they only get around 150 miles per tank.

Natural gas or propane??? Never heard of one running on NG.

Here in GA. we have many vehicles that run on CNG (compressed natural gas). Buses and fleet trucks and all gas company cars and trucks use it. No smoke or stinky fumes.

Seems a lot of people confusing natural gas with propane.Lehr outboards run on propane.The main advantage of using propane is the fact that it is stored in a sealed container that does not require venting,will not spill and lasts indefinately.Lehr motors are used on dingies for yachts where they are often stowed on deck or on davits some times sideways or upsidedown.The idea of a propane powered outboard appeals to me because it eliminates the risk of contaminated fuel(the #1 cause of motor problems in boats).

muddywaders said:
Seems a lot of people confusing natural gas with propane.Lehr outboards run on propane.The main advantage of using propane is the fact that it is stored in a sealed container that does not require venting,will not spill and lasts indefinately.Lehr motors are used on dingies for yachts where they are often stowed on deck or on davits some times sideways or upsidedown.The idea of a propane powered outboard appeals to me because it eliminates the risk of contaminated fuel(the #1 cause of motor problems in boats).

Thats what has me interested......but until there are more units out there to see how they last in reality ...pro's and con's.....im not sure i want to plunk down the money on a 25 hp motor unless its something thats going to hold up

Theory sounds absolutely wonderful but after reading reviews of those that own the smaller units they first put out (2.5-8 hp) does not seem the execution was done properly.....

Latest posts