question on trolling motor plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downtown

Reaction score
I just bought a Minn Kota edge 24v 65lb thrust trolling motor. It doesn't come with a plug and the plug that fits my boat has 10g wire and I need 6g
Will I have to re-wire with a new receptical and plug? My motor only has 2 wires and all the 24v plugs I see have 3.

The 2 wires coming from the trolling motor is 6g. The plug has 10g wire.

No. Its the end of the load. And your voltage drop in 10 gauge is minimal for 6" of wire. They make 3 wire plugs to acomidate the 12/24 motors. One lead is 12. One is 24 and a ground. You will only use 2. I myself would use a 6 gauge anderson connector. Most likely your motor is only 10 gauge. You wouldnt want to reduce at the battery. Then the 6 gauge is worthless.

Here is MK's wire requirements and the correct plug. The wire gauge is based on total length of the run, meaning if the battery is 10ft away from the motor, the run is 20ft.
https://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/What_gauge_wire_and_fuse_is_needed_for_my_motor_/
The link for the plug is not working right now. MK sells the 6ga plug and receptacle for $15

Latest posts