Replacing back board

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
How is it to replace the motor back board on a Jon boat....

I noticed it has screws going through form the inside to the outside of the boat.

How do I seal those screws so there will be no leaks ?

I would use stainless steel bolts and nuts and 3m 5200.

And remember not to use treated wood.

And if you can get the old one out in 1 piece, use it for a pattern, unless you're wanting to do something different. Paint the new piece on both sides, and give it a couple days to dry before installing it.Clamp it in place & drill your holes using the existing holes in the hull as a guide.

Like DZ said, be sure & use SS hardware (reuse the old if it's SS) & seal it.

ST

I just did this exact thing. Here is a link that has a few pictures.....
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4099&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Its pretty straight forward really. undo as many fasteners as you can. Grind off or drill out those that you can't. remove your old piece in as few pieces as possible and use it as a pattern for the new one. Try and make the new one the same thickness as the old one. USE STAINLESS BOLTS to reattach it. Its a bit pricey but you won't ever have to worry about them rusting out on you. I used 3 layers of plywood to achieve the same thickness as my old transom. I then used gorilla glue and clamps in two stages to glue it all together. I then dry fit the piece, drilled my holes and put three coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane on it. I let it trickle into the bolt holes as much as possible to help seal the wood from that side as well. I then bolted her in. I have only had it out one day but I don't expect leakage to be a problem. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

What is a good sealant to use when I replace the back board and to cover the rivets on the bottom ?

What are the preliminary checks I need to do before I drop the boat in the water...

Where to buy that round tubular foam used to cover the metal where the boat rest.

All I have is a regular flat trailer that is not long enough to fit the boat, so I need to cover
the side rails with some kind of foam that would protect the boat from boucing against the metal rails. Where to buy that stuff ?

What is the best way to tie down a boat when you don't have a traditional boat trailer ?

Wish me luck....

Latest posts