River Trip, 11/23.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USSWormy

Reaction score
Cold Morning on the river in upstate SC. Had to bust through a little ice in the creek at the put in site to get to the main river channel. 21 degrees at launch time, and warmed up to 49. Water temp was 55 and dingy, clear and minimal wind.
I guess the fish were cold as well, because we had a real slow day (again). But as usual, it was a great day to be out after 'em.
Threw Jig & plastic, slow rolled some spinnerbaits, cranked awhile, NADA. Finally tied on a Junebug Senko, and Caught 1 Dink, and the biggest of the day, 3 lb. =D> That one kinda made all the cold go away for a while :) Guess we will be out again later on in the week, so until then, all Have a Safe and wonderful Thanksgiving! :D

The dink:
IMG_0071.jpg

Biggest of the day:
IMG_0069.jpg

Thanks Jim, Rod(s) is an "anteek" :wink: 6'6" Jimmy Houston Classic by Shimano. I use it and a 7 footer (same kind) when I fish Jigs and worms on the river. Reels I use are Abu Revo's. For crankin' and top water I use the Team Diawa's and crankin' sticks by BPS. Work pretty well.....

Hopefully Santa will bring me another pair of Team Diawas for Christmas [-o<

Thanks Zum,

My fishing buddy and I are very fortunate, and thankful to have a "little slice of heaven" so to speak, in that we get to fish a 2 mile stretch of a river at anytime, that very rarely sees a bait. If we ever see anyone else fishing (1 or 2 times a year?) on it, they are usually on the bank. Its very secluded and private, and about 5 miles from the house. Only one way in or out, and its right by the owners house / property. A good population of most all southern freshwater species, and they are usually above average in size.

Truely fortunate, and we try to be the best stewards we can for the sport of fishing. Go out of our way to help clean up and protect their property and the fishery.

Nice catchin, I have three of those Jimmy Houston rods...well two, I broke one. I bought them when I was 12 I think, 11 years ago. I think I paid $60 a piece for them then. They are nice rods, I still use them from time to time, even after upgrading substantially. Keep it up, lakes are starting to ice over completely around here :cry:

FishinsMyLife said:
Just curious, but what river is that (if you don't mind to share)? SC's river's are an underutilized resource.

Its the Pacolet River, it feeds Lake Blalock (which is real close to the house). And you are right..... most rivers up here are underutilized, as they can get tough to fish until you spend the time to figure them out. I also fish the Broad River up around Gaffney, SC. Its not as productive, but it holds some good fish as well.

Nice catchin, I have three of those Jimmy Houston rods...well two, I broke one. I bought them when I was 12 I think, 11 years ago. I think I paid $60 a piece for them then. They are nice rods, I still use them from time to time, even after upgrading substantially. Keep it up, lakes are starting to ice over completely around here :cry:

I have had those rods forever it seems, and you are right, they are pretty nice and work really well. I really don't like taking my "good" rods down to the river, as we have a rough, goat trail we have to use. A 4 wheel drive is a must. Gear gets tossed around quite a bit sometimes, and I have a "fear" of something getting broke :shock: (just me I guess, but with the cost of new equipment now a days, I try to take care of 'em as best I can). I will say one thing, a product called Cork Magic keeps the cork handles really nice and clean. Makes old rod handles look new again (sorry for the plug) :roll: .

USSWormy said:
FishinsMyLife said:
Just curious, but what river is that (if you don't mind to share)? SC's river's are an underutilized resource.

Its the Pacolet River, it feeds Lake Blalock (which is real close to the house). And you are right..... most rivers up here are underutilized, as they can get tough to fish until you spend the time to figure them out. I also fish the Broad River up around Gaffney, SC. Its not as productive, but it holds some good fish as well.
Huh, never even heard of it. I've fished the Broad around Columbia a little bit, and I like fishing the Saluda below the Lake Murray Dam. Thanks for filling me in on the river! Nice catchin by the way

Latest posts