roofing tar on bottom of boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of/done this to a boat to add strength to the bottom of the hull? I was researching different ideas of adding strength to the bottom of my 1236 and came across this idea. Seems to fairly cheap and easy to do, just wanted to check here and see if anyone has heard of/done this to theirs...

I would not recommend doing that. A better solution would be to use a roll-on bedliner.

That said, one of the worst boats I ever welded on was a leaky POS that they had 'repaired' with roofing tar, JB weld, and probably some bubble gum as well.

I think I spent more time trying to remove that crap than actually welding it. And it was a major PITA to get the metal clean enough to weld it, because the wire wheel spread that gummy mess all over the metal, so then it had to be burned off with a torch, then wire brushed with a clean brush, before ever attempting to strike an arc.

Anymore when people bring me junk like this, I charge them more right off the bat, for making my job of repairing it more difficult, by attempting some half-@$$sed fix.

Just my .02

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331809#p331809 said:
erictetterton » 10 Oct 2013, 20:04[/url]"]has anyone ever heard of/done this to a boat to add strength to the bottom of the hull? I was researching different ideas of adding strength to the bottom of my 1236 and came across this idea. Seems to fairly cheap and easy to do, just wanted to check here and see if anyone has heard of/done this to theirs...
I've never seen that done to add strength, only to stop leaks. As the other reply stated, a welder would not be happy at all. But for an 80 dollar boat you have little to lose. I followed your link and it certainly had a lot of miles on it, didn't it! :shock:

Gary

I would imagine roofing tar on the bottom of the boat would create friction with the water and slow you down.

Latest posts