Rusty rocker switch contacts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadsteve

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a rocker switch for my jack plate that has acted up the last couple trips. It only does it just after launching I hit the button and nothing. If I click it several times it starts to work and never an issue for the rest of the day. I've checked everything with an ohm meter all connections everything is good. Only thing I can think is somehow moisture is causing a bit of corrosion inside the rocker switch. The boats used enough it must only be a thin layer but this shouldn't be happening on a marine grade rocker switch ( th marine) . I bought a spare switch to keep onboard incase this one gives up the ghost but it's the same brand so I have little faith. Anybody know of a high quality 3 position rocker switch that won't do this
My search brings back a bunch of brands I've never heard of.

Well the original switch just bit the bullet...we took the boat out first thing this morning and went tubing with no issues. Dropped the wife and youngest son off at dock for the air bnb were staying at and oldest son and I took the boat for a 9 mile run to the groceries store without a hitch. Got back to our dock after the groceries run and it won't go up. Humidity is about 90% right now I'm gonna swap the switch in a bit and cross my fingers.

The electrical components, including toggle switches, I've added are all Blue Sea Systems. So far no issues.

I would swap it out too. If you have a meter with you it would be good to test the old switch just to make sure that is the problem.

I didn't bring the ohm meter with me . The only other thing I think it could be is a relay has gone bad but they are sealed and have to be replaced with the whole harness. I'll swap the button in a bit it's just 4 Phillips screws. Worse case it's the relay and I'll have to bypass the relay to get it up if I can't get it on the trailer with it all the way down. Launches are deep here so probably won't be an issue and I trailer with it all the way down anyway. Just figures it would happen on vacation with the boat in the water for a week straight.

Either way it sounds like a nice vacation.
It is we come every year for a week. The 4k acre lake is entirely set up to be able to reach all the attractions by boat. We just got back in from tubing for the last couple hrs. We got here Monday I've put 7.5 hrs on the outboard since we arrived . Grabbing some grub and then heading back out to try for some walleye

I spray electrical stuff with Fluid Film, and it does a good job protecting things. You don't need much, but it works well in saltwater areas, so if you are in a lake, it should be great.

That is a pretty new setup. Relays do go bad at times, but at least you figured it out. Good job!

Arrived home today and the new relay harness was in the mailbox waiting for me. Atlas overnighted me a new harness and a switch so atleast customer service is on point. Concrete crew was pulling out as we pulled in the boats new home is one step closer to being done.

Attachments

• 20240726_165929.jpg
    20240726_165929.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 0
I bought a winch contactor relay for my Panther trim unit and it has been awesome for about 5 years now. Was the unanimous route to go on all the duck hunting forums where most people are running aftermarket trim units on motors that didn't have factory trim. They would throw away the relays that came with the more popular brands right out of the box. It's a beefy little unit and when you activate it in one direction it makes a really loud relay click. That really is about the only negative. If you are doing short bursts on the trim switch repetitively trying to dial it in, it may get a little annoying.

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027UPPK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a winch contactor relay for my Panther trim unit and it has been awesome for about 5 years now. Was the unanimous route to go on all the duck hunting forums where most people are running aftermarket trim units on motors that didn't have factory trim. They would throw away the relays that came with the more popular brands right out of the box. It's a beefy little unit and when you activate it in one direction it makes a really loud relay click. That really is about the only negative. If you are doing short bursts on the trim switch repetitively trying to dial it in, it may get a little annoying.

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027UPPK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will be going that route next if the new one lasts as long as the origonal

Arrived home today and the new relay harness was in the mailbox waiting for me. Atlas overnighted me a new harness and a switch so atleast customer service is on point. Concrete crew was pulling out as we pulled in the boats new home is one step closer to being done.
Hope your gonna add walls and a roof ?