Schuylkill River 5/26/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
With an all day on and off rain, I figured today would be one of the better days to get out and target some smallies with out the normal crowds. The wife left for school, and I headed off to the river. Unfortunately, I had just recently organized my tackle, and forgot to pack much needed plastics, and bullet weights. But I did remember some bigger crankbaits, and poppers. The first hour or so was hit or miss with some smaller dinks on topwater. I decided to hit one last spot I knew i wouldn't loose expensive x-raps with some deeper water with less snags. Imediately, I noticed smaller fish getting chased by much bigger fish. I knew exactely where to cast, and with a twitching retrieve I nailed a fat smallmouth. For a moment I thought cyber tourny entry, but with no cash at hand, and not wanting to leave a spot that was hot, I was SOL. So after a quick pic and release it was on to more fish. I stayed at that hole shortly into dark with about 30 or so smallies banked. I couldn't expect much bigger then the first, with every fish in the 10"-15" area. With the water still cool, I still can't believe the action on crankbaits tonight.

Picture1760.jpg

Picture1761.jpg

slim357 said:
I was wondering where your entry was, what size x-raps do you use?

8, 10. and the 12. Just about about all my xraps are clown, and or pearl color.

I devoted the whole day saturday to catching a slob largemouth for the tourny, but came up short. My biggest was a 17" skinny thing. By saturday afternoon I came out of denial, switched up some tackle, and went carp fishing, both late saturday, and sunday.

Man,I love that clown color in size 10...lost my last one this past weekend can't find any around here.I'm on ebay bidding right now,thats where I got my last ones.
That smallie did have a nice belly,your spawns all done ,right?

BLK fisher said:
Nice. How far up the Schuykill are you? When I launch my boat the farthest I can make it is the art museum.
. I do most of my smallmouth fishing 20 or so miles north of the art museum. And I'm almost sure our spawn is way over. That smallie was stocked up and fat. I noticed a big *** gill down his gut
When I was getting the lure out. Every smallie I caught was fat, and some were even spitting up digested craws, and some sort of baitfish.

Latest posts