Second boat, added 2 feet!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way it’s just a press fit. If it is pressed, it’s also splined or something to prevent rotation. I don’t know this for a fact but just a cylindrical press fit would eventually spin under load.

That’s the “or something”…… :LOL2:

With the direction it gets loaded it would be getting pushed on not pulled. It’s probably fine.

My Evinrude e-tec is plenty newer and my service manual has the drive shaft as splined on both ends and it drops into a splined hole on a separate short shaft that has the pinion on the ends.

AE351112-717F-4EF2-B2CD-26F464066EC4.png

It’s probably just pressed in with the key for anti rotation. If it’s splined it may be hard to get off.

Congrats on the new boat! Looks cool and vintage.

Since it sounds like you're going to do a water pump service keep this in mind......

Funny thing....I read the post above on not forgetting to replace the shift rod o ring. Just finished servicing my water pump on my 2017 Yamaha F25 and there was no o ring listed on removing/installing lower unit nor water pump service pages.

As I was looking at parts diagrams pages online, I notice an o ring at the shift rod. It appears it may install below the water pump plate. I did'nt notice it when I did this service.

I believe it is in there, as I did not turn the lower unit upside down and did not see it come out when water pump plate was removed

Now Im curious.....wonder what would happen if it's bad or missing?

Disclaimer: I’m new to boats so please verify the following information… if the shift rod o ring was bad you would get water in the lower unit oil. If the o ring was missing you would get a lot of water in the lower unit oil…

Got the lower unit back together. The old gear had 4 broken teeth, one tooth fell out when I took the unit apart and I found 3 more teeth when I cleaned out the lower case half, so I don’t have to worry about where the pieces are. I also paid careful attention to the shift rod adjustment when I put that back together, so hopefully that cures it from popping out of gear…

So now I just have to get the idle straightened out and we’ll be good to go! I’m tempted to drop the boat into the lake to give it another run this afternoon (I want to see if loosening the cap on the fuel tank or squeezing the bulb has any affect on how it runs) but it’s hot out and the sofa is really comfortable…

So I managed to get myself off the sofa and I took the boat out…

Still popping out of gear under load. It will putt around fine but if you get on it the motor “runs away”. When you back off the throttle it will grab again smoothly (no grinding banging or popping, the boat just starts to pick up speed and you can hear the motor “dig in”). The only thing that makes sense to me is that the shift “sleeve/dog” is disengaging from the gear under load. I did notice some wear on the “ears”, but it didn’t look that bad to me…

I tried loosening the cap on the tank and squeezing the bulb when it was idling, but of course it didn’t run any better, but I didn’t really expect it to… from what I’ve read tank venting issues usually show up during long high speed runs and my issues are at idle…

And just for fun here’s a cool mailbox I saw on the way home from the lake…
D77527E0-4CDC-475A-BC18-27F26E8126C5.jpeg

Latest posts