Second Sonar Mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishjunky

Reaction score
I have a 500 series Humminbird. The transducer is mounted off of the transom, and the head unit is mounted so I can see it from the helm. . What I would like to do is use a secondary mount like shown at the link below... this way I can move the head unit to the bow when fishing from up there ( I know the transducer will be the length of the boat behind my position but I'm okay with that). Does anyone know what kind of cable I need to connect the two mounts?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbird-MS-M-Sonar-Mount/1350967.uts?productVariantId=3156775&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=27-354185735-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03441403&rid=40#BVQAWidgetID

Thanks!

Go to Humminbird.com and you should be able to find the correct cable you need.

I've looked at their website for a while... they have A BUNCH of different cables and I can't figure out what I need.

Their website is a zoo - navigate to your unit and you will find a link for compatible accessories. This should be the one you need:

https://www.humminbird.com/Products/US3/

Allows connecting two units to one transducer.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365432#p365432 said:
onthewater102 » 04 Sep 2014, 21:09[/url]"]Their website is a zoo - navigate to your unit and you will find a link for compatible accessories. This should be the one you need:

https://www.humminbird.com/Products/US3/

Allows connecting two units to one transducer.

Wow. All of the looking I've done on their site and I haven't seen that one... Thanks. It's definitely closer to the right department... it seems like this will allow two different head units to connect to one transducer.

What I'm after is a cable that I can use my existing transducer with (without adding another transducer) and simply move my head unit to another connection to the same transducer so I can view the sonar from the bow.

Also, they no longer make my unit (597 HD DI) so I can't go to that product and view available accessories.

That cable doesn't add a transducer - it allows you to select between two different head units which one will be connected to the transducer - you set up a forward mount and a rearward mount, and toggle between them to select which one is connected to the transducer. You'll move your headunit back and forth between the mounts.

The Unit Switch (US3 / 720070-1) allows the user to view sonar and temperature information on two different fishfinders from one transducer. This toggle switch allows you to alternate from one transducer to the other transducer.

The main application for the unit switch is to allow a user to have one transducer mounted on the boat, generally on the transom or in-hull, connected through the switch to two different fishfinder displays at different locations on the boat.

------------------

The above text is copied and pasted from Humminbird's website. It seems to contradict itself in the first paragraph.

So if I installed this switch the way Humminbird intends, with two head units, both would not be able to work at the same time? (Only the one selected via the switch would work). It seems they would have a cable that would relay info from one head unit to another, but I may be S-O-L.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365478#p365478 said:
fishjunky » 05 Sep 2014, 08:27[/url]"]
------------------
The above text is copied and pasted from Humminbird's website. It seems to contradict itself in the first paragraph.

You are absolutely right - I made the mistake of ordering the US3 switch when I wanted the TS3 switch (my need was to connect 2 transducers to one head unit) and had to exchange one for the other which pissed me off when I paid extra shipping throughout the process. At the end of it I ended up not using the 2nd transducer as side imaging on a trolling motor mount is a waste of time - so I have the TS3 switch for nothing.

You want the US3 - you will flip the switch to designate which mount you want connected to the transducer and attach your one head unit accordingly. I thought it was your intention to move the head unit to the bow when you were up there fishing and then move it back to the helm when piloting the boat around? If so all you'd have to do is push a toggle switch and it would work...

Otherwise you're looking at networking head units together which (if I'm recalling from memory correctly) isn't a functionality built into the 500 series.

Gotcha thanks.

Yes I am talking about moving the head unit front or back depending on what I'm doing... but I guess I was approaching it from a networking angle I suppose. My unit has 4 plugs on it, one for the power, one for the transducer and two others that I'm not sure exactly what they do offhand... I assumed they could be used to connect to other units.

The other two connections are for separate temperature and speed sensors that you can buy from Humminbird that you would use if you were using the transducer thru-hull in a fiberglass boat, or wanted a little paddlewheel hanging off the back of the boat telling you how fast you were going.

I checked again and 500 series are not network capable - at least not the ones that are currently available.

I hated dealing with Humminbird's website trying to figure out what I needed, the only thing worse was Lowrence's to try and get away from Humminbird!